Digital Marketing: How-to articles covering the latest marketing tactics, tips, and strategies.
#SocialSkim: YouTube TrueView Joins AdWords, Plus 12 More Stories in This Week's RoundupAngela NatividadTrueView ads finally join the AdWords interface. We'll also talk about the latest format and messaging updates to Instagram, Google's logo change, and how wedding hashtags have become the "something ...
Six Hard and Six Soft Skills to Look for When Hiring Your Next Marketing EmployeeKrisi Rossi O'DonnellWhat should companies screen for when identifying marketing talent? The best candidates have strong hard and soft skills that will allow them to succeed and add value to the organization ...
Email Benchmarks 2Q15: Engagement Is Higher Than EverAyaz NanjiDespite increased email volume, consumers are opening and engaging with emails more than ever before, according to a recent report from Yesmail.
What Makes a Marketing Email Go Viral?Which types of emails from brands are consumers most likely to forward? Are personalization, segmentation, audience size, and subject matter virality factors?
What Global Opportunities for Online Retailers Look Like in 2015 [Infographic]Verónica Maria JarskiConsumers around the world are becoming more confident about buying online. Check out these stats about the current state of e-commerce along with predictions about its future.
The Most In-Demand Digital Marketing SkillsAyaz NanjiWhich digital marketing skills and job titles are highly sought after? And how much do those in-demand positions pay, on average?
#SocialSkim: Access to Every Public Tweet, Ever. Plus More Stories in This Week's RoundupAngela NatividadFind out how you can use deep-dive Twitter searches to improve your marketing. You'll also discover how to download your LinkedIn contacts' email addresses, up your Instagram game, and get ...
#SocialSkim: LinkedIn's Social Selling Measurement Tool, Plus 10 More Stories in This Week's RoundupAngela NatividadGet the latest on Facebook's new livestreaming feature, LinkedIn's social selling measurement tool, and Instagram's new ads API. Also: how Getty's making it easier to score royalty-free content... no matter ...
How Media Execs Feel About the Digital LandscapeAyaz NanjiNearly three-quarters of media executives (71%) are concerned about how to most effectively deliver audience through digital, mobile, and social channels, according to a recent report from Active International.
Who Are the Americans That Never Use the Internet?Ayaz NanjiSome 15% of adults in the United States do not use the Internet, according to a recent report from the Pew Research Center.
Digital Marketing: Podcasts containing in-depth interviews with smart marketers from all walks of life.
The Digital Marketer: Larry Weber and Lisa Henderson Talk to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneFrom native advertising and content strategy to how the C-Suite has evolved, Larry Weber and Lisa Henderson discuss what marketers need to know to stay relevant in their industry.
Social, Mobile, and the Future of Sports Marketing: Michelle Andres of the Baltimore Ravens Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneMichelle Andres, vice-president of digital media for the Baltimore Ravens, explains how the organization rose to social media prominence in the NFL and turned its official website from a lonely afterthought into the online destination for fans.
Content, Customer-Centricity, and the Power of Data: Acxiom's Tim Suther on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantThis week's guest on Marketing Smarts is Tim Suther, chief marketing and strategy officer for Acxiom, a firm that Tim referred to as "the original Big Data company"; FRONTLINE called it "one of the biggest companies you've never heard of."
How to Build a Testing Culture: Justin Rondeau of Which Test Won on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantTesting your online campaigns, landing pages, forms, website, and so on can't be an every-now-and-again thing. Testing must be iterative and ongoing if it is to produce results. Which means, among other things, that your organization must institute a culture ...
Surrender to the Chaos of the Internet: The Atlantic's Bob Cohn on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantThe Atlantic magazine has made a highly successful transition to the digital world. To understand what has led to its digital success and uncover what content marketers might learn from its example, I invited Bob Cohn, the magazine's digital editor, ...
A Passion for People: Intel's Ekaterina Walter Talks Entrepreneurial Success on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew Grant"All of us want to belong, and all of us really want to make an impact, and some of us... we invent Facebook," Ekaterina Walter, social media strategist at Intel and author of Think Like Zuck told me during this ...
Did You See That? EyeTrackShop's Jeff Bander Talks Eye Tracking on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantBefore we can effectively communicate with our customers, we need to get their attention. According to Jeff Bander of EyeTrackShop, this means that when evaluating the effectiveness of our ads or calls-to-action or emails or whatever, we need to answer ...
Think Like a Producer, Not a Publisher: Andrew Davis on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantMarketers need to think and act more like executive producers, those people behind the scenes of movies and TV shows who spend all their time "trying to find the resources to create the right kind of content for the right ...
Satire, Politics, and Marketing Fake News: Baratunde Thurston on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantStand-up comic, author of How to Be Black, and former director of digital at The Onion, Baratunde Thurston has a lethal sense of humor—and an uncanny ability to meld business sense and humor to both build an online audience and ...
What Is the Secret to Social Media Success? LoveTheCool's Michelle McCormack [Podcast]by Matthew GrantIn this week's episode of Marketing Smarts, social media consultant Michelle McCormack shares four key lessons she's learned about social media success—and what it takes to attain it.
Digital Marketing: Online seminar broadcasts from the best minds in marketing
- MarketingProfs University: SEO—How Customer Experience Impacts SearchBroadcast on 8/13/2015 with Casie GilletteIn this PRO seminar and kickoff class of MarketingProfs University's Search Marketing School, we'll cover the most important elements and key changes in customer search behavior as well as how to drive conversations through SEO, content, and social media.
- Develop Your B2B Customer Journey in Six StepsBroadcast on 8/11/2015 with Teya FlickJoin us for this free seminar to gain an understanding of your customers' motivations and challenges. You'll learn how to deliver relevant content and develop your customer journey in six easy steps. Sponsored by Whereoware
- How to Build Your Podcast BrandBroadcast on 7/23/2015 with Nick WestergaardIn this PRO seminar, we'll walk you through how to get started in podcasting—from understanding its current state to the mechanics and equipment needed to begin. You'll learn how to develop a podcast that both aligns with your brand promise and engages your audience. We'll also share techniques on how to turn your current listeners into brand advocates, and you'll walk away with actionable tips you can start using right away to take your podcast from good to great.
- How to Use Google Analytics' Secret Data to Improve Your Search and Social CampaignsBroadcast on 3/6/2014 with Jeff SauerIn this PRO seminar, we'll open the door to the treasure trove of information available to you within Google Analytics. You'll walk away with several actionable tips you can use to measure and improve your search and social campaigns.
- Future-Proof SEO: Immunize Your Business Against Search Engine UpdatesBroadcast on 11/21/2013 with Calvin JonesThis PRO seminar will explore how a fresh approach to search engine optimization can stop you worrying about search engine updates for good.
- Insta-Power: Build Your Brand and Reach More Customers with the Power of PicturesBroadcast on 10/31/2013 with Jason MilesThis PRO seminar will outline 10 actionable monetization strategies that are working on Instagram today. You'll learn from practical examples and easily repeatable case studies.
- MarketingProfs University: SEO in 2013—Current Trends and Future PredictionsBroadcast on 8/8/2013 with Jayson DeMersIn this PRO seminar, you'll discover a brief history of the SEO industry's past few years, followed by a thorough walk-through of the industry's most effective strategies.
- The Power of More: How Knowing More About Your Website Visitors Drives Greater ROIBroadcast on 6/20/2013 with Marc Engelsman, Ben YurchakThis seminar will delve into some of the challenges marketers face when extracting meaningful and actionable insights from their web analytics data and lead you to more—more leads, more conversions, more sales, more ROI.
- Marketing Campaign Strategies for the Social and Mobile WorldBroadcast on 5/16/2013 with Rebecca WardlowThis PRO seminar will help you get your mobile-first plan in place by teaching you how consumers are using their mobile devices to connect with businesses!
- How to Successfully Break the “Rules” of Email Marketing and Get Better ResultsBroadcast on 10/25/2012 with DJ Waldow, Jason FallsJoin DJ Waldow and Jason Falls as they highlight individuals and companies who don't follow the "best practices" of email marketing and have still found incredible success.
Digital Marketing: Tutorials — tactical marketing know-how in just 10 minutes from subject matter experts
- Take 10: Digital Marketing Is a Circle of TrustReleased on 6/12/2015 with Jon-Mikel BaileyIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to create utility content—content that serves a purpose or solves a problem—and how this helps drive qualified traffic. In addition, we'll share insight on paid, owned, and earned media, how to use it to keep you in the circle of trust, and how to make it work to your advantage.
- Take 10: Three Tricks to Create Killer Pay-per-Click Ad CopyReleased on 3/20/2015 with Courtney HerdaIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn three tips that will help you create killer ad copy. Whether your PPC account is small or enterprise-level, these tricks are designed to help you optimize your ad performance and reach your marketing goals.
- Take 10: Strategic Resources to Better Manage Your Social MarketingReleased on 1/23/2015 with Guy PowellIn just 10 minutes, we'll show you how to overcome common social marketing challenges (such as not having enough time, budget, or staff) and provide you with key dashboard dimensions, including how to set up specific improvement objectives and how to track your progress to improve your social marketing efforts.
- Take 10: The 10 Web Marketing Areas You Need to Focus on NowReleased on 1/9/2015 with Stoney deGeyterIn just 10 minutes, we'll identify the top 10 online marketing areas you should be focusing on, and provide you with three action items for each. With your top 10 list and actionable to-dos in hand, you can eliminate the less impactful projects, and hone your time, money, and energy on what really matters and gives you the best ROI.
- Take 10: How to Gain More Search Visibility From Blog PostsReleased on 11/14/2014 with Lorrie Thomas RossIn just 10 minutes, we'll share how you can optimize your blog for search with easy architectural tactics and tools. Plus, you'll learn simple steps that you can add into your blogging routine to give your content more SEO power.
- Take 10: Six Keys to Creating a Successful Direct Mail Campaign PlanReleased on 8/8/2014 with Keith GoodmanIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn six key points to address when developing a direct mail campaign plan. You'll walk away with the tactical tips and tools you need to increase your campaign's efficiency and effectiveness.
- Take 10: The Four Most Important Reports in Google AnalyticsReleased on 6/13/2014 with Peter PlattIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn which reports are most important, and how to use this information to assist you in future campaigns. You'll walk away with a better understanding of Google Analytics, and how to get the most out of your metrics and reporting.
- Take 10: Key Tips to Consider When Creating a Digital StrategyReleased on 12/6/2013 with Allen WeissIn just 10 minutes, we'll discuss why a comprehensive digital strategy is different than just implementing digital tactics.
- Take 10: Six SEO Tips to Make Your Content ShineReleased on 9/27/2013 with Lisa GerberIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn the principles of SEO and six tactics for optimizing your content so that your customers (and prospective customers) can find you easily online.
- Take 10: How to Create Goals in Google AnalyticsReleased on 9/20/2013 with Christine B. WhittemoreIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to set up basic goals in Google Analytics so you can start to evaluate your website traffic right away.
Digital Marketing: Marketing downloads for the busy professional
- Website Metrics: What to Measure and How to ImproveIn this 27-page guide, you'll learn how to focus on the website data that matters most when you're intent on getting the most from your website—specifically, that which concerns website traffic, the visitor journey, visitor engagement, and conversions. It covers the various metrics to track in order to assess your website's performance in these areas and offers actionable tips for improving those results.
- Slowpoke's Guide to Digital MarketingFeel like the digital marketing race began without you? Don't worry—you can still catch up to the social media superstars. The Slowpoke's Guide to Digital Marketing puts rocket fuel in your engine to propel your digital marketing campaigns.
- The Obama Playbook: How Digital Marketing and Social Media Won the ElectionWant to create a veritable army of customer-advocates to champion your brand? The Obama Playbook: How Digital Marketing and Social Media Won the Election shows you how the Obama campaign masterfully used new media to build awareness, engage prospects, and start a movement. It takes you step-by-step through the new media strategies of the campaign and provides actionable guidance on how you can modify each to benefit your business. Both entertaining and useful, it's an invaluable resource for the savvy marketer who wants to take full advantage of the amazing powers of new media.
- Benchmark Research: Marketing in the Economic CrisisThese economic times have everyone concerned and asking, "How does this effect marketing?". Well we surveyed our very own members to help give marketers a sense of how others are dealing and adapting to these tough times.