Digital Marketing: How-to articles covering the latest marketing tactics, tips, and strategies.
Americans and the Internet: The Good and the BadAyaz NanjiMost US Internet users (76%) say the Web has been good for society, just 15% say it's been bad (15%), and 8% say it has been both good and bad, ...
The Most Effective Email Subject Line LengthAyaz NanjiEmails with subject lines of 6-10 words have the highest open rates, yet most emails sent by marketers have subject lines of 11-15 words, according to a recent report from ...
What Will Content Marketing Look Like in 2014? [Infographic]Verónica Maria JarskiThe forecast for content marketing in 2014 includes higher quality of content, multiscreen marketing, and bigger budgets. How does your content marketing compare with those predictions?
The Most Commonly Used Email Marketing TacticsAyaz NanjiThe top three email tactics used by marketers are content relevancy, email personalization, and list segmentation, according to a recent report by Ascend2.
The Year of the Social SMB [Infographic]Verónica Maria JarskiWhat are the social media plans of small to midsize businesses (SMBs) this year? Find out in the following LinkedIn infographic.
#SocialSkim: Twitter Cards How-To, Netflix Drone to Home, the Oscars, GIF ResumesAngela NatividadJust in time for your weekend, this issue's action-packed with practical and inspiring social stories: Netflix Drone to Home, Oscars fun with kids and hashtags, GIF-based resumes, and a Twitter ...
WhatsApp by the Numbers: Where It's Popular; Teen Usage StatsAyaz NanjiActive useage of WhatsApp, the messaging application that Facebook acquired for $19 billion, grew by 230% in North America in 2013, according to a recent report by GlobalWebIndex.
A Snapshot of Small Businesses on LinkedIn [Infographic]Verónica Maria JarskiWhat does the world of small business look like through the lens of LinkedIn? The following infographic offers a snapshot of small businesses on LinkedIn and the topics that interest ...
The Biggest Missed Opportunities in Site Search [Infographic]Verónica Maria JarskiAre you using site search for your marketing programs? Here's a look at why six out of 10 retailers do not use site search and some reasons why they should.
Spend and Strategize Wisely to Increase Your Organic Reach on FacebookKevin BobowskiEmbracing these tactics can extend your reach on Facebook, engage your audience, and drive revenue from your Facebook marketing—despite recent News Feed changes.
Digital Marketing: Podcasts containing in-depth interviews with smart marketers from all walks of life.
Social, Mobile, and the Future of Sports Marketing: Michelle Andres of the Baltimore Ravens Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneMichelle Andres, vice-president of digital media for the Baltimore Ravens, explains how the organization rose to social media prominence in the NFL and turned its official website from a lonely afterthought into the online destination for fans.
Content, Customer-Centricity, and the Power of Data: Acxiom's Tim Suther on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantThis week's guest on Marketing Smarts is Tim Suther, chief marketing and strategy officer for Acxiom, a firm that Tim referred to as "the original Big Data company"; FRONTLINE called it "one of the biggest companies you've never heard of."
How to Build a Testing Culture: Justin Rondeau of Which Test Won on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantTesting your online campaigns, landing pages, forms, website, and so on can't be an every-now-and-again thing. Testing must be iterative and ongoing if it is to produce results. Which means, among other things, that your organization must institute a culture ...
Surrender to the Chaos of the Internet: The Atlantic's Bob Cohn on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantThe Atlantic magazine has made a highly successful transition to the digital world. To understand what has led to its digital success and uncover what content marketers might learn from its example, I invited Bob Cohn, the magazine's digital editor, ...
A Passion for People: Intel's Ekaterina Walter Talks Entrepreneurial Success on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew Grant"All of us want to belong, and all of us really want to make an impact, and some of us... we invent Facebook," Ekaterina Walter, social media strategist at Intel and author of Think Like Zuck told me during this ...
Did You See That? EyeTrackShop's Jeff Bander Talks Eye Tracking on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantBefore we can effectively communicate with our customers, we need to get their attention. According to Jeff Bander of EyeTrackShop, this means that when evaluating the effectiveness of our ads or calls-to-action or emails or whatever, we need to answer ...
Think Like a Producer, Not a Publisher: Andrew Davis on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantMarketers need to think and act more like executive producers, those people behind the scenes of movies and TV shows who spend all their time "trying to find the resources to create the right kind of content for the right ...
Satire, Politics, and Marketing Fake News: Baratunde Thurston on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantStand-up comic, author of How to Be Black, and former director of digital at The Onion, Baratunde Thurston has a lethal sense of humor—and an uncanny ability to meld business sense and humor to both build an online audience and ...
What Is the Secret to Social Media Success? LoveTheCool's Michelle McCormack [Podcast]by Matthew GrantIn this week's episode of Marketing Smarts, social media consultant Michelle McCormack shares four key lessons she's learned about social media success—and what it takes to attain it.
The Changing Agency/Client Relationship: Glenn Engler Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantSenior-level marketers don't seem to believe their digital partners are adequately extending their service capabilities in the digital age. So how does an agency demonstrate that it "gets" digital? Glenn Engler, CEO of Digital Influence Group, answers that question in ...
Digital Marketing: Online seminar broadcasts from the best minds in marketing
- How to Use Google Analytics' Secret Data to Improve Your Search and Social CampaignsBroadcast on 3/6/2014 with Jeff SauerIn this PRO seminar, we'll open the door to the treasure trove of information available to you within Google Analytics. You'll walk away with several actionable tips you can use to measure and improve your search and social campaigns.
- Future-Proof SEO: Immunize Your Business Against Search Engine UpdatesBroadcast on 11/21/2013 with Calvin JonesThis PRO seminar will explore how a fresh approach to search engine optimization can stop you worrying about search engine updates for good.
- Insta-Power: Build Your Brand and Reach More Customers with the Power of PicturesBroadcast on 10/31/2013 with Jason MilesThis PRO seminar will outline 10 actionable monetization strategies that are working on Instagram today. You'll learn from practical examples and easily repeatable case studies.
- MarketingProfs University: SEO in 2013—Current Trends and Future PredictionsBroadcast on 8/8/2013 with Jayson DeMersIn this PRO seminar, you'll discover a brief history of the SEO industry's past few years, followed by a thorough walk-through of the industry's most effective strategies.
- The Power of More: How Knowing More About Your Website Visitors Drives Greater ROIBroadcast on 6/20/2013 with Marc Engelsman, Ben YurchakThis seminar will delve into some of the challenges marketers face when extracting meaningful and actionable insights from their web analytics data and lead you to more—more leads, more conversions, more sales, more ROI.
- Marketing Campaign Strategies for the Social and Mobile WorldBroadcast on 5/16/2013 with Rebecca WardlowThis PRO seminar will help you get your mobile-first plan in place by teaching you how consumers are using their mobile devices to connect with businesses!
- How to Successfully Break the “Rules” of Email Marketing and Get Better ResultsBroadcast on 10/25/2012 with DJ Waldow, Jason FallsJoin DJ Waldow and Jason Falls as they highlight individuals and companies who don't follow the "best practices" of email marketing and have still found incredible success.
- Using Crowdsourcing to Develop and Enhance Your ContentBroadcast on 9/27/2012 with David BratvoldIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn what crowdsourcing is, why it's important, and how you can use it to beef up your content.
- Landing Page Tips to Lift Your Conversion RateBroadcast on 9/20/2012 with Chris GowardThis PRO seminar will teach you how to get the most out of your landing pages' design, copy, and layout.
- MarketingProfs University: Why Your Online Strategy Really Is Your Business StrategyBroadcast on 9/13/2012 with Vanessa FoxIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn why SEO is still important, how to seamlessly build it into your strategy, and how to step into your customers' shoes and understand their thinking to improve traffic, and ultimately, revenue.
Digital Marketing: Tutorials — tactical marketing know-how in just 10 minutes from subject matter experts
- Take 10: Key Tips to Consider When Creating a Digital StrategyReleased on 12/6/2013 with Allen WeissIn just 10 minutes, we'll discuss why a comprehensive digital strategy is different than just implementing digital tactics.
- Take 10: Six SEO Tips to Make Your Content ShineReleased on 9/27/2013 with Lisa GerberIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn the principles of SEO and six tactics for optimizing your content so that your customers (and prospective customers) can find you easily online.
- Take 10: How to Create Goals in Google AnalyticsReleased on 9/20/2013 with Christine B. WhittemoreIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to set up basic goals in Google Analytics so you can start to evaluate your website traffic right away.
- Take 10: Striking The Balance Between Merchandising and Branding for Your Ecommerce WebsiteReleased on 6/7/2013 with Brent NiemuthIn just 10 minutes, learn how to appeal to basic human instincts and create an online experience that will delight anyone who visits your site while encouraging sales.
- Take 10: How to Build a Socially Savvy BrandReleased on 2/15/2013 with Heidi CohenIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to define all aspects of your brand, from colors to images, sound, video, the tangible and intangible elements, and more.
- Take 10: How to Monetize Your Website with Google Ad SenseReleased on 1/25/2013 with Chloe SpencerIn just 10 minutes, you'll discover important tips on how to get your site approved by Google.
- Take 10: How to Create Custom URLs for Better Campaign TrackingReleased on 10/5/2012 with Dan SoschinIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to create custom URLs for your campaigns that will improve your Google Analytics tracking tenfold and, ultimately, improve your campaign performance.
- Take 10: Five Secrets of Successful Mobile App Landing PagesReleased on 9/28/2012 with Brian KlaisIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to power-up your social engagement with smart phone users. Brian will share with you five cutting-edge tips for deel-linking traditional web, email, and ad media directly into pages inside of today's most mobile apps.
- Take 10: How to Design a Website That Resonates With Your UsersReleased on 9/21/2012 with Jon-Mikel BaileyIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to design a user-centric website that performs better and gets the response you’re looking for from your audience.
- Take 10: How to Increase Website ConversionReleased on 8/17/2012 with Sherice JacobIn just ten minutes, you'll learn how to optimize your website to increase your conversion rate right away!
Digital Marketing: Marketing downloads for the busy professional
- Slowpoke's Guide to Digital MarketingFeel like the digital marketing race began without you? Don't worry—you can still catch up to the social media superstars. The Slowpoke's Guide to Digital Marketing puts rocket fuel in your engine to propel your digital marketing campaigns.
- The Obama Playbook: How Digital Marketing and Social Media Won the ElectionWant to create a veritable army of customer-advocates to champion your brand? The Obama Playbook: How Digital Marketing and Social Media Won the Election shows you how the Obama campaign masterfully used new media to build awareness, engage prospects, and start a movement. It takes you step-by-step through the new media strategies of the campaign and provides actionable guidance on how you can modify each to benefit your business. Both entertaining and useful, it's an invaluable resource for the savvy marketer who wants to take full advantage of the amazing powers of new media.
- Benchmark Research: Marketing in the Economic CrisisThese economic times have everyone concerned and asking, "How does this effect marketing?". Well we surveyed our very own members to help give marketers a sense of how others are dealing and adapting to these tough times.