Positioning: How-to articles covering the latest marketing tactics, tips, and strategies.
The Five Factors of Value That Drive B2B Sales and Protect Margins (Article 3 of 4)Mark EardleyHere's straightforward guidance on how to identify what your customers value, understand how value motivates B2B buying, break through the price barrier, and use value (i.e., create it) to justify ...
Content and the Buying Decision Cycle: Guarantee Your Content Creates Sales (Article 2 of 4)Mark EardleyIn B2B marketing, to convince customers to buy from you, they must know who you are, what you do, and why you matter to them. Here's how to move their ...
Psych! Five Principles That Explain Why Consumers Take Action (or Don't)Laura ForerToday's marketers can track and analyze virtually every step of a customer's journey. We have hard data that show us what's working and what's not. But beneath all that data ...
Five To-Do's for a Rebrand That RocksRobin SaitzNo matter the reason for a rebrand, there's no denying it's a major decision—and an expensive undertaking. Among all that needs to be done, these five things are a must ...
How to Elicit and Use Employee Stories in Your Content MarketingRyan Michael McDonaldThere's no shortage of content about the power of stories and storytelling in digital marketing. But how do you tell stories beyond your "brand story," especially if you work for ...
Brand Personification: The Ultimate Way to Get to Know Your BrandCoralyn LoomisUse this compelling and intuitive method for taking a step back and gaining clarity on who your brand is and what kind of impression you're making on the world.
Five Customer Insight Mistakes You Must AvoidDenyse Drummond-DunnCustomer insights are essential to growth and success, yet they remain the elusive holy grail of many a business—a seeming exercise in futility. But you can avoid others' mistakes and ...
Three Ways Niche Players Can Connect With the C-SuiteTom WhatleyWe all have dream clients—company logos we'd love to place on our homepage. The only way to get there, in most cases, is by engaging with senior decision-makers over time—starting ...
Five Twitter Mantras: How Not to Be Unenlightened on Social MediaEd MorganCompanies have hired armies of smart, hip, Web-savvy people to usher their brands into a new era of connectedness that allows them to reach customers in new and interesting ways. ...
Five Ways to Make Your Brand More PowerfulSandra StewartEven when brand communications hit all the marks—they're clear, meaningful, and on message—they're often dull. That's an opportunity, though, for companies willing to show off their human side and maybe ...
Positioning: Podcasts containing in-depth interviews with smart marketers from all walks of life.
Tell Your Brand Story in Just Six Seconds: Bill Fasig on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneCan you tell your brand story in six seconds? Because that's all today's consumer will give you. Bill Fasig of TopRight Partners shares the consultancy's process for distilling a complex narrative into a six-second story.
Content, Social, Sales, and Community: Highlights From a Year of Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantWe covered a range of topics on the Marketing Smarts podcast in 2012. In this episode we share some highlights on creating compelling content, allowing social media to humanize your organization, building community, and navigating the sometimes tricky relationship between ...
Does Your Brand Have a Visual Hammer? Laura Ries on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantThis week's guest , Laura Ries, believes in tying a brand's core message (the "verbal nail") to a striking visual image (the "visual hammer"). Her premise is straightforward: To leave a lasting impression on the mind of customers and potential ...
Positioning: Online seminar broadcasts from the best minds in marketing
- 10 Keys to Creating a Winning Marketing ConceptBroadcast on 5/8/2014 with Martha GuidryIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn the keys to marketing concept success. We'll examine real world examples to illustrate the challenges faced when creating marketing concepts, giving you a clear understanding of what an ownable positioning concept really is and setting you up to hit the ground running.
- Using Market Frameworks to Analyze Your CompetitionBroadcast on 2/21/2013 with Sean CampbellIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn how to use market frameworks to understand your market and analyze your competition, understand your own strengths, and uncover weaknesses you may not even know you have.
- Ten Best Practices for Performing Competitive TeardownsBroadcast on 7/26/2012 with Sean CampbellYou'll learn the do's and don'ts of acquiring competitors' solutions, methods to perform the teardown effectively and fairly, and how you can use the results to improve your marketing and sales collateral.
- How to Create Advertising Campaigns that Make Men Do What You WantBroadcast on 5/28/2009 with Steve McNamaraNow's your chance to learn how to think like the Creative Director of a bigshot ad agency.
- Content Marketing: How to Position Your Company as a Trusted Expert ResourceBroadcast on 12/4/2008 with Joe PulizziWhat's the best way to start building a relationship with potential buyers? Educate them about your industry, possible solution choices, best practices, and the right questions to ask.
- Direct-to-Consumer PR: Putting theBroadcast on 9/11/2008 with Gail Z. MartinGo beyond the idea of the Direct-to-Consumer press release and put the 'public' back into PR with a new look at ways to take the corporate message straight to the purchaser.
- Using e-Metrics to Optimize Your All-Around Marketing StrategyBroadcast on 4/3/2008 with Jim SterneOnline marketing professionals have been monitoring the success of their websites for a little over ten years now. They have been using the Internet to test alternatives in marketing strategy, messaging, positioning, offers, promotions and more. Today, these techniques can be directed at the offline world as well.
- Seth Godin: How to Avoid The Meatball SundaeBroadcast on 1/3/2008 with Seth GodinThis seminar with Seth Godin is perfect for anyone wrestling with the collision of traditional marketing and the New Marketing that's happening online. It's all about avoiding the meatball sundae. "What's a Meatball Sundae?" you ask ...
- Get More Customer Mindshare: Developing a Rock-Solid Value PropositionBroadcast on 11/29/2007 with Jill KonrathWhen salespeople lack strong value propositions, they're unable to crack into corporate accounts, engage customers in business-oriented discussions, differentiate themselves from competitors and get prospective customers to make decisions to change. Strong value propositions are that important!
- Jack Trout on Worldwide Positioning: An Encore PresentationBroadcast on 11/28/2007 with Jack TroutThe global economy is the driving force in today’s marketing world. Positioning is the driving force in how to operate in this world. This seminar will take you on a journey around the world to see how positioning is being practiced from China to Venezuela and many stops in between.
Positioning: Tutorials — tactical marketing know-how in just 10 minutes from subject matter experts
- Take 10: How to Name Your BrandReleased on 9/4/2015 with Jeremy MillerIn just 10 minutes, we'll discuss how to choose a brand name that resonates with your customers. We'll walk you through the four types of names and the elements that make them sticky, as well as teach you how to evaluate your company and product names against the competition.
- Take 10: A Step-by-Step Guide to Product SelectionReleased on 5/17/2013 with Kathleen SchultzIn just 10 minutes, we'll share a comprehensive step-by-step approach to product selection that will step up your selling success!
- Take 10 Author Series: How to Become a Go-To Resource for CustomersReleased on 2/24/2012 with Brian SolisIn just 10 minutes, Brian tells you exactly what you need to do to become relevant and a go-to resource for your customer.
Positioning: Marketing downloads for the busy professional
- The Three Cs of Successful PositioningIn this 15-page guide, you'll learn how to research the three Cs, their importance, and their impact on the positioning process. Just as positioning is the foundation for successful marketing, understanding the three Cs is the foundation for a positioning strategy that will set you apart from your competitors.
- Small Biz How-To Guide: Positioning, Naming & TaglinesSpot-on positioning leads to names that attract customers and taglines that sing. Get your small business on the track to marketing success.