Market Research: How-to articles covering the latest marketing tactics, tips, and strategies.
Five Top Tips for Successfully Profiling Your CompetitorsJulia CupmanFundamentally, business is about beating the competition. You cannot make judgments around strategies for doing so without first understanding the strengths and weaknesses of competitors.
Harness the Power of Personas for Social Media MarketingKeith QuesenberryPersonas are not new. What is new is taking personas and applying them to social media. This article provides four approaches to creating personas to increase the relevancy of your ...
#SocialSkim: Access to Every Public Tweet, Ever. Plus More Stories in This Week's RoundupAngela NatividadFind out how you can use deep-dive Twitter searches to improve your marketing. You'll also discover how to download your LinkedIn contacts' email addresses, up your Instagram game, and get ...
Are You Losing Sales Because of Boring Copy? A Widely Applicable Example of AppsRazwana WahidYou pour weeks into preparing for launch. You finally release the product and eagerly wait for sales to pour in. Yet, they don't. You blame the product: Should we add ...
Your Marketing Strategy Hinges on Both Brand and Client Research: Here's the Why--and the HowJoshua ConranIf you don't continually re-examine your clients and your brand in order to communicate your company's unique selling proposition, you could be muddling your value or—worse—speaking to the entirely wrong ...
How to Mine Social Media for Authentic Market IntelligenceMarcel FlorezCompanies that mine the otherwise hidden person-to-person chatter of social media gain invaluable market intelligence into what consumers really think of their brands and competitors.
How Survey Research Can Aid in PR and Marketing PlanningLynda B. StarrLearn when conducting a survey is appropriate, get tips on survey design, and understand how to incorporate survey results into PR and marketing activities.
Key B2B Marketing Challenges and StrategiesJulia CupmanA recent B2B marketing study paints an interesting picture of the marketing challenges US businesses are encountering, the strategies they are employing, and what they could be doing more of ...
Stop Isolating Customer Insights: Five Ways to Design the Customer Into Your CompanyJulie Wittes SchlackIn the emerging sharing economy—modeled on collaborative creation and consumption—you can't effectively "create customers" without a deep, empathetic, and evolving understanding of their aspirations, challenges, and needs.
How to Spy on Your CompetitionTim MatthewsMarketers want to know what their competition is up to. Setting up Google Alerts and following your competitor's Twitter feed can get you only so far. So what's the best ...
Market Research: Podcasts containing in-depth interviews with smart marketers from all walks of life.
Uplifting Instagram Marketing: Soffe Apparel's Paul Anderson on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneSoffe Apparel's director of marketing, Paul Anderson, explains the research and strategy behind the company's rebranding and its targeted use of social channels such as Instagram to energize audiences.
Audience-Centric Marketing: Tom Webster Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneTom Webster, vice-president of marketing and strategy at Edison Research, explains the simple shift in thinking that can help marketers to create more effective messages.
The Language of Brand Love: Loveworks Author Brian Sheehan Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneAuthor Brian Sheehan discusses his latest book "Loveworks," the characteristics of beloved brands, and how you can create a "sensual experience" for your prospects and customers.
The Truth Is Unscripted: Adele Revella Talks Buyer Personas on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew Grant"Buyer personas don't work if you make stuff up," Adele Revella told me during this week's episode of Marketing Smarts. "They work if you listen to customers first." But to gather real, actionable customer intelligence, you need to talk to ...
The Changing Agency/Client Relationship: Glenn Engler Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantSenior-level marketers don't seem to believe their digital partners are adequately extending their service capabilities in the digital age. So how does an agency demonstrate that it "gets" digital? Glenn Engler, CEO of Digital Influence Group, answers that question in ...
Market Research: Online seminar broadcasts from the best minds in marketing
- Case Study: Reframe Your Media Strategy to Identify and Engage New AudiencesBroadcast on 7/16/2015 with Alyssa Hall, Emily VidettoIn this PRO seminar, we'll explain how GAF Roofing redefined their media and branding strategy to engage a new audience and re-engage their traditional audiences through social, PR, television, video, and more. You'll learn how to tailor your approach to capture the attention of a shifting customer base as well as gain insight on how to update both your messaging and media to increase loyalty and engagement.
- Tune In to the Voice of the CompetitorBroadcast on 3/5/2015 with Sean CampbellIn this PRO seminar, we'll cover strategies and tactics you can use to go beyond the voice of customer (VOC) research and move into voice of the competitor (VOTC) research. We'll explain how to tap into the digital world to not only identify your competitors' customers and influencers, but uncover the messages they're sending, as well as share proven best practices to help bring your marketing in line with the world around you. You'll leave this seminar armed with tools and techniques that can provide both quantitative and qualitative measures of competitor voice.
- Take on the World: Compete Globally with Customer Experience ManagementBroadcast on 10/17/2013 with Liz HighThis PRO seminar is not just relevant for the global marketer, as you'll also learn how customer experience innovation in one market propels a company's competitiveness and growth across the globe.
- Ten Best Practices for Performing Competitive TeardownsBroadcast on 7/26/2012 with Sean CampbellYou'll learn the do's and don'ts of acquiring competitors' solutions, methods to perform the teardown effectively and fairly, and how you can use the results to improve your marketing and sales collateral.
- Sales Messaging That Closes the DealBroadcast on 6/21/2012 with Tim RiestererDiscover how to develop content marketing messages that help your salespeople close the deal and convince prospects to choose you.
- MarketingProfs University: Understanding and Engaging Today’s Connected BuyerBroadcast on 6/7/2012 with Tony ZambitoThis PRO seminar and first class of MarketingProfs University's Digital Advertising Academy will get you inside the minds of your buyers and cover why understanding them is the first step to successful branding, marketing, and demand generation.
- Cognitive Surplus: How Sharing and Collaboration Can Benefit Marketers in a Connected AgeBroadcast on 4/19/2012 with Clay ShirkyIn this seminar, Clay Shirky will show you how to tap into your customers' cognitive surplus by providing a platform for customer collaboration—and how this collaboration can turn into big positive results for your business. Plus you'll discover how you, as a marketer, can become more valuable to your company through the insights you gain by fostering this collaboration.
- Accelerating Sales with Competitive IntelligenceBroadcast on 5/19/2011 with Sean Campbell, Scott SwigartSean Campbell and Scott Swigart explain how you can obtain clear and correct competitive insights (on a moment's notice)—and then use that information to strengthen to your marketing and business plans, and accelerate sales growth.
- Get to Know Your Customers: Connecting Market Research to Business GrowthBroadcast on 8/5/2010 with Bill AlbertiLearn how to frame market research in terms of profitable impact. You'll discover how to establish the connection between using research to understand your customers and improved business performance.
- Demolish the Roadblocks on Your Website: Clearing a Path for Customer Action, Sales and LoyaltyBroadcast on 1/21/2010 with Gerry McGovernTraditional marketing is about getting attention. Web marketing is about giving attention. There’s a world of difference between the two.
Market Research: Tutorials — tactical marketing know-how in just 10 minutes from subject matter experts
- Take 10: How to Create a Tactical Sales and Marketing Plan in Eight Hours or LessReleased on 7/18/2014 with James ObermayerIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to create your own SWOT analysis, and well-defined goals, objectives, strategies, and tactics. With this information, you'll be able to develop your own sales and marketing plan in 8 hours (or less!).
- Take 10: How to Gather Competitive Intelligence from Q&A ForumsReleased on 4/29/2011 with Scott SwigartIn this Take 10, competitive intelligence expert Scott Swigart tells you which Q&A sites are prime spots for unearthing a mother lode of information on your competition and how best to stake your claim.
- Take 10: How to Reverse Engineer Your Competitors’ Customer ListReleased on 4/15/2011 with Scott SwigartIn this Take 10 webcast, competitive intelligence expert Scott Swigart explains how you can gather data from a variety of public information sources, such as Google and LinkedIn, and then connect the dots to gain insight into who your competition's customers actually are.
- Take 10: Discover What Your Competition is Worried (and Excited) AboutReleased on 1/7/2011 with Scott SwigartLet competitive intelligence expert Scott Swigart show you the way as he explains which sources to tap, what types of information to look for, and how to corroborate your findings when researching publicly traded companies.
- Take 10: Google Tools the Pros Use for Advanced Competitive ResearchReleased on 12/10/2010 with Sean CampbellTake a quick tour of the advanced Google tools the pros use to guide their online research, gather insight on competitors, and get a solid read on the state of the industry in this Take 10 presentation by market research specialist Sean Campbell.
- Take 10: Using LinkedIn Company Pages for Networking and ProspectingReleased on 11/26/2010 with Jason AlbaFind out why Companies is LinkedIn expert Jason Alba's second favorite feature as he explains where to go on LinkedIn to find key data and how to use it for networking and prospecting.
- Take 10: Dig up the Good Stuff About Your Competitors Using GoogleReleased on 11/19/2010 with Sean CampbellIn this Take 10 webcast, market research specialist Sean Campbell outlines some of the basic search modes you can use to save time and push the good stuff to the top.
- Take 10: Using Twitter as a Competitive Research ToolReleased on 10/22/2010 with Sean CampbellFind out how the competitive intelligence experts make the best use of their time on Twitter in this short, 10-minute presentation by Sean Campbell.
Market Research: Marketing downloads for the busy professional
- Marketing Automation Management: Basics and Best PracticesMarketing automation can have a big impact on your sales and marketing efforts. Learn the ins and outs of marketing automation capabilities, how to make the best use of them, and resources for selecting the best system for you with MarketingProfs' Marketing Automation Management: Basics and Best Practices guide.
- LinkedIn Success StoriesLinkedIn is used by 55 million professionals as a place to network, trade advice, and demonstrate business expertise. See how 11 companies, including PR firms, advertising agencies, and software companies, are using LinkedIn to show expertise, generate leads, and conduct research.
- A Step-by-Step Guide to a Social Media Program: Everything you need to know about establishing your strategy, policy and teamThe adage “think before you speak” has now become “think before you write.” In this age of instant messaging, businesses need to wield their online words thoughtfully. Check out MarketingProfs “A Step-by-Step Guide to a Successful Social Media Program” to learn how to create your social media strategy, policy and team.
- Customer-Centric Innovation: How Companies Engage Customers in Product Development and Radical InnovationEngaging your customers can help increase satisfaction, loyalty, and brand awareness. This research report will help you understand the role of customers in product development.
- B-to-B Marketing in 2008: Trends in Strategies and SpendingMarketingProfs research provides B2B marketers guidance for making budget and media mix allocations by exploring the issues and emerging trends in 2008.
- Small Biz How-To Guide: Market ResearchNeed to learn about your customers without the big price tag of market research firms? This guide on do-it-yourself market research will help you get the information you need to position your business without emptying the corporate coffers.
- Online Research How-To GuideSet clear objectives and a realistic scope to online research projects. These are just two of the steps that this comprehensive, step-by-step planning guide will help you to accomplish to insure your online research results in the most relevant and useful information possible.
- Market Forecasting TemplateThis guide will give you a mini-seminar on the art and the science of forecasting. Learn the four different ways to create forecasting models and choose the ones that best suit your needs. Then follow these easy-to-follow steps to creating a model where you too can predict the future.
- Benchmark Report : Marketing ROI (Year 2)This 2006 survey, the second annual ROI study, demonstrates that companies are definitely getting the ROI message. This study shows a significant increase in the number of companies that have implemented some form of Marketing ROI measurements. And let's face it, Marketing ROI is here to stay. Jim Lenskold says, "Marketing ROI will continue to be a priority as long as maximizing profits is a priority for corporations." Well said, Jim.
- Competitive Analysis TemplateA thorough competitive analysis is a critical component of a solid marketing plan. It is an exercise that will provide you with valuable insights to guide the development of your business strategy. This 20-page template will make the project quick and easy, and you can end up with a leg up on your compeition.