Advertising: How-to articles covering the latest marketing tactics, tips, and strategies.
#SocialSkim: Facebook Mood Manipulator, and News From Snapchat, Reddit, Instagram, More!Angela NatividadStill peeved about Facebook manipulating your feelings? A clever Mood Manipulator plugin lets you decide how your News Feed feels. We've also got Snapchat news, Reddit Live, an Instagram case ...
#SocialSkim: What Gets Shared, Word Crimes, TSA on Instagram, Write Like a Spy, More!Angela NatividadWhat nightspots trend on Twitter? Heineken helps young people find out. You’ll also learn what people really share on social networks, how to write like a spy, why word crimes ...
#SocialSkim: Engagement Playbook, Yo's Uses, Tweets' Reading Level, Influential ContentAngela NatividadScore Vice's playbook on engagement, get the latest (surprising) news on messaging app Yo, learn about the top 10 most influential content producers on LinkedIn, and find out what reading ...
The Video Consumption Habits of US ConsumersAyaz NanjiMore than half of US consumers (59%) say their television set is being transformed into an overgrown monitor for viewing content they select from an online device, according to a ...
#SocialSkim: Your Content Strategy, Facebook's Emotion Experiment, Google's Orkut, More!Angela NatividadReady to wave those Fourth of July flags? Before you do, get the skinny on Facebook's gigantic emotion experiment (which may have happened on your news feed). See how brands ...
What Clients Expect of Marketing and Ad AgenciesAyaz NanjiBusinesses expect the marketing and advertising agencies they employ to do a bit of everything, from properly understanding current objectives to presenting ideas and solutions beyond the conventional, according to ...
Is Facebook Still Cool? And for Marketers, Does It Matter?Mike BarrettFor brands, the question remains: If Facebook is no longer "cool"—but young people are still using it—what should marketers be doing with the channel?
#SocialSkim: Audience Insights, LinkedIn Users and Content, Improved Facebook Video Ad CTRsAngela NatividadIt's a good day for data. Find out why fandom's so important, how LinkedIn users consume content, and how Facebook plans to improve video ad click-throughs for advertisers. Skim to ...
10 Ways to Boost Your Google AdWords Search Ads Right NowJason NelsonImplementing these 10 tips to boost AdWords search network ads can make a significant difference in your click-through rate, Quality Score, and campaign ROI.
Four AdWords Mistakes That Drag Your CTR DownLarry KimMarketers make these four common mistakes that drag down their AdWords clickthrough rate. But you can write ads that get two, even three times the average CTR. Here's how.
Advertising: Podcasts containing in-depth interviews with smart marketers from all walks of life.
Brand Attachment: Larry Vincent Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneLarry Vincent, founder and executive director of The Brand Studio at United Talent Agency, discusses brand attachment, including how marketers can use it to predict buying behavior.
Becoming a Social Business: Marcus Nelson of Addvocate Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneMarcus Nelson, founder of Addvocate, shares insights into how companies can empower employees as brand advocates (and why they should)!
We Are Here to Persuade People: Michael Weiss of figure18 on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantMichael Weiss, managing director at figure18 and a veteran speaker, consultant, client advocate, and sales executive, has an interesting perspective on marketing and advertising, not to mention the role of the agency, in today's always-on, always-open business environment.
Content, Customer-Centricity, and the Power of Data: Acxiom's Tim Suther on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantThis week's guest on Marketing Smarts is Tim Suther, chief marketing and strategy officer for Acxiom, a firm that Tim referred to as "the original Big Data company"; FRONTLINE called it "one of the biggest companies you've never heard of."
Getting Content Strategy Right: Michael Brenner on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantThe "S" word can be intimidating, but failure to articulate a clear strategy (and goals!) for your content marketing will undermine its effectiveness. Here, Michael Brenner discusses how SAP defines—and implements—its content strategy.
Satire, Politics, and Marketing Fake News: Baratunde Thurston on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantStand-up comic, author of How to Be Black, and former director of digital at The Onion, Baratunde Thurston has a lethal sense of humor—and an uncanny ability to meld business sense and humor to both build an online audience and ...
Toward the Product-Centric Future: Mike Troiano Talks About Advertising and Branding on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantOver the last 100 years, a business culture emerged based on mass production, mass consumption, and mass advertising in print and, especially, on television. Now, the media landscape is undergoing an unprecedented technical revolution—and highlighting a critical weakness at the ...
Advertising: Online seminar broadcasts from the best minds in marketing
- MarketingProfs University: The Fundamentals of Paid SearchBroadcast on 8/9/2012 with George MichieIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn the ins and outs of paid search, including how to set the foundation for an effective strategy, how to set budgets and goals, and much more.
- MarketingProfs University: Understanding and Engaging Today’s Connected BuyerBroadcast on 6/7/2012 with Tony ZambitoThis PRO seminar and first class of MarketingProfs University's Digital Advertising Academy will get you inside the minds of your buyers and cover why understanding them is the first step to successful branding, marketing, and demand generation.
- How to Get the Most Out of Your Facebook AdsBroadcast on 5/17/2012 with Eshwar BelaniLearn how to dramatically improve the effectiveness, reach, and ROI of your Facebook campaigns and how to use ad targeting and optimization tools outside of Facebook to create, launch, and test thousands of ads targeted at just as many (if not more) micro-segments.
- The Next Generation of Landing Pages: What's New, What's Hot, What's PerformingBroadcast on 11/10/2011 with Scott BrinkerTake a whirlwind tour of state-of-the-art landing page strategies and tactics, and update your Web marketing repertoire with a new set of best practices that you can put into action.
- New YouTube Features That Will Make You Stand Out from the CrowdBroadcast on 6/10/2010 with Michael MillerMichael Miller returns to update you with the latest marketing-oriented features of YouTube. Find out which of these new features make the most sense for your organization, and how to use them to promote your business and products.
- High-Performance Landing Pages that Boost Your Bottom Line (FREE)Broadcast on 11/19/2009 with Michael Goodman, Anna TalericoGetting them there isn't enough. Here's how you can improve the odds of converting a Web visitor into a customer.
- It's All About the Click: Fundamentals of Paid Search MarketingBroadcast on 6/4/2009 with George SeyboldPaid search, or Pay-Per-Click (PPC), marketing isn't new. But what do you need to know if you're just getting started?
- How to Create Advertising Campaigns that Make Men Do What You WantBroadcast on 5/28/2009 with Steve McNamaraNow's your chance to learn how to think like the Creative Director of a bigshot ad agency.
- Make Word-of-Mouth Marketing Work for Your CompanyBroadcast on 12/19/2007 with Andy SernovitzWord-of-mouth marketing is becoming the most important, most effective, and most ethical way to promote your company. The rise in consumer control of the media, blogs, and social networks is changing advertising forever. Take a look at how this phenomenon has happened—and what we all need to do to keep it happening.
- Small Business Series: How to Advertise on a Modest BudgetBroadcast on 10/19/2007 with Michael GoodmanMichael Goodman has been responsible for annual advertising budgets ranging from a few thousand dollars to millions of dollars, in consumer, B2B, services, information, entertainment and not-for-profit situations. He’s learned advertising from recognized masters of the craft, and stumbled across some truths on his own.
Advertising: Tutorials — tactical marketing know-how in just 10 minutes from subject matter experts
- Take 10: How to Monetize Your Website with Google Ad SenseReleased on 1/25/2013 with Chloe SpencerIn just 10 minutes, you'll discover important tips on how to get your site approved by Google.
- Take 10: Four Ways to Monetize Local Daily DealsReleased on 5/18/2012 with Amy FowlerJust like everything else, there's a right way and a wrong way to add daily deals into your marketing mix. In just 10 minutes, you'll learn the right way to make daily deals lucrative for your business.
- Take 10: How to Effectively Use Traditional Marketing in the Digital AgeReleased on 4/6/2012 with Elaine FogelIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how you can use traditional marketing (print advertising, direct mail, etc.) as the perfect complement to your digital marketing strategy.
- Take 10: How to Set Up and Manage Effective Facebook AdsReleased on 7/22/2011 with Paul ChaneyIn this Take 10, Internet marketing specialist Paul Chaney walks you through each step of setting up a Facebook Ad account. He makes sure that you know how to create a Facebook Ad, how to target the right people with it, and how to navigate the different pricing and scheduling options.
- Take 10: How to Host a Successful Twitter ChatReleased on 7/8/2011 with Verónica Maria JarskiIn this Take 10, Verónica Maria Jarski takes you through the eight essential ingredients of a rockin' good Twitter chat.
- Take 10: How to Select Images That Make Your Marketing More EffectiveReleased on 7/1/2011 with Dan HillIn this Take 10, Dan Hill, an expert in consumer and employee behavior, uses insights provided by eye-tracking studies to explain why certain images have such tremendous impact.
- Take 10: How to Put Your Business on the Map With Google PlacesReleased on 4/22/2011 with Janet Driscoll MillerIn this Take 10, search engine optimization expert Janet Driscoll Miller explains how to get your brick and mortar location into Google Places so that your business shows up the way you want it to in Google Web search results, mobile search results, and Google Maps.
- Take 10: Creating a YouTube Channel Page that Reflects Your BrandReleased on 12/3/2010 with Michael MillerTune in to this quick and dirty rundown of what it takes to customize your YouTube channel to match your brand, and be the envy of your competitors.
- Take 10: YouTube Advertising in 7 Easy StepsReleased on 10/15/2010 with Michael MillerJoin online marketing penman Michael Miller as he walks us through the seven steps to launching a YouTube Promoted Video campaign that supports your video's rise to prominence.
Advertising: Marketing downloads for the busy professional
- Facebook Success StoriesWhen it comes to social networking sites, Facebook boasts the most loyal visitors on the Web. So it's easy to see why successful brands are embracing it as a platform to connect with customers. Facebook Success Stories gives you the real scoop on how 21 companies, including Adobe and Dunkin' Donuts, are pushing the social media marketing envelope using Facebook's tools and apps.
- Benchmark Report : Marketing ROI (Year 2)This 2006 survey, the second annual ROI study, demonstrates that companies are definitely getting the ROI message. This study shows a significant increase in the number of companies that have implemented some form of Marketing ROI measurements. And let's face it, Marketing ROI is here to stay. Jim Lenskold says, "Marketing ROI will continue to be a priority as long as maximizing profits is a priority for corporations." Well said, Jim.
- Benchmark Survey: Marketing to HispanicsLink directly to the raw (aggregate) data in this 2006 survey of the ways companies are targeting their marketing efforts, and adjusting their business processes, for the lucrative Spanish-speaking segment. With access to the raw data, you can view the results, and even filter them to see how a subset of companies in your country or industry answered. In this way, you can interpret the data in the most meaningful way for your business.
- Benchmark Report: Marketing ROI (Year 1)In a 2005 survey, the first in an annual series, Jim Lenskold found that only 1 in 5 respondents was actually using ROI measures for marketing efforts -- 99% of those respondents indicate increased profitability due to the use of ROI. See this and subsequent reports for a full picture of the evolution of marketing ROI.