Metrics: How-to articles covering the latest marketing tactics, tips, and strategies.
Why You Need a CRO Culture in Your Business... and How to Build ItSean EllisConversion rate optimization is having a moment in the sun because it uses a resource you already have—website traffic—to drive additional growth at little additional cost.
10 Lessons That Social Can Learn From Traditional Customer Service [Infographic]Verónica Maria JarskiWant to improve how your company uses social media? Look at traditional customer service for ideas about what customers want when they reach out to a company.
Five Must-Have Insights for Better PPC Campaign PerformanceLarry KimIn data-driven marketing channels, such as paid search, having the most relevant and recent data possible is vital, because you're competing in real time (usually with real budget constraints) for ...
Three Must-Have Internal Metrics for Productive Marketing TeamsBryan NielsonHow should productivity be measured? Here are three types of internal marketing metrics you should be tracking to help ensure greater effectiveness, efficiency, and predictability for your marketing team.
Five Approaches for Making Sense of the Data KaleidoscopeLaura PattersonMarketers have access to more data than ever before, so the ability to identify data patterns and use that information to make strategic decisions is vital for success.
Determining Subscriber Value: What's an Email List Member Worth?Karen TalaveraHere are some approaches to assigning subscriber value even if you can't clearly attribute revenue by channel. You'll learn how to determine what each email subscriber is worth to your ...
#SocialSkim: Super Bowl Ads, Shareable Content, Grammy Goods, Biz Apps, More!Angela NatividadGet your a-la-carte awesome this week: from VW's epic Super Bowl ad to Ogilvy's design tips for making shareable content. We've also got your Grammy goods, a treasure trove of ...
Start 2014 Off Right: Five Marketing Trends You Need to KnowTricia Heinrich2014 promises to be just as transformative as 2013 was. Here are five trends that will be affecting marketing; keep them top of mind.
The Art and Science of Growing Your Email List: Determining Subscriber Acquisition CostKaren TalaveraSo how can you go about determining the value of new subscribers—as well as the limits of what you’d be willing to pay to get one?
Four Marketing Performance Management Resolutions for 2014Laura PattersonIf you've made your marketing New Year's resolutions, we hope you devoted at least one to marketing performance management. As inspiration, here are four to choose from, along with a ...
Metrics: Podcasts containing in-depth interviews with smart marketers from all walks of life.
Tips for Wrangling Content (and Cattle): Spredfast CMO Jim Rudden Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneSpredfast CMO Jim Rudden discusses trends in social marketing, content strategy, and using existing content to make "content risotto."
How to Build a Testing Culture: Justin Rondeau of Which Test Won on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantTesting your online campaigns, landing pages, forms, website, and so on can't be an every-now-and-again thing. Testing must be iterative and ongoing if it is to produce results. Which means, among other things, that your organization must institute a culture ...
Moving From Attribution to Prediction: Jim Lenskold Talks ROI Metrics on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantDemonstrating value is certainly a fine reason to measure our actions and their results. But discussing marketing measurement with Jim Lenskold during this week's Marketing Smarts podcast got me thinking that we may be thinking about the purpose of measurement ...
Don't Let Data Drive, Let It Inform: Beth Kanter and KD Paine on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantBeth Kanter and Katie Delahaye (KD) Paine, authors of Measuring the Networked Nonprofit: Using Data to Change the World, discuss performance metrics and nonprofits.
How Do You Measure the Value of Sharing? Kurt Abrahamson of ShareThis Talks About Measuring Social Activity on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew Grant"It's not just social media," Kurt Abrahamson says in this week's episode of Marketing Smarts. "It's socially engaged audiences that are important." Learn why social sharing is an important indicator of engagement—and more useful to publishers and advertisers than the ...
Metrics: Online seminar broadcasts from the best minds in marketing
- MarketingProfs University: Finding the True Value of Your Online Marketing CampaignsBroadcast on 4/10/2014 with Ruth BurrIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn how web marketing programs should target the "sweet spot" between website performance and campaign performance, allowing marketers to take a whole-funnel approach.
- Rethink the Funnel: A New Perspective on AttributionBroadcast on 3/25/2014 with Seph ZdarkoJoin us for this free seminar and learn how to measure the true impact of your prospecting and retargeting efforts for improved campaign performance. Sponsored by Quantcast
- Making Big Data SmallerBroadcast on 3/11/2014 with Tom Webster, Dustin SmithJoin us for this free online seminar and discover how to tame big data to a manageable size. You'll learn the framework for clearly understanding your company's data and you'll be able to immediately apply the framework to any data about your business. Sponsored by Tableau Software
- Lead Gen in the Age of the Self-Directed BuyerBroadcast on 2/11/2014 with Jon MillerIn this free seminar, you'll get invaluable insights into the methodologies and metrics needed to optimize your lead gen efforts and increase conversions. Sponsored by Marketo
- The Power of More: How Knowing More About Your Website Visitors Drives Greater ROIBroadcast on 6/20/2013 with Marc Engelsman, Ben YurchakThis seminar will delve into some of the challenges marketers face when extracting meaningful and actionable insights from their web analytics data and lead you to more—more leads, more conversions, more sales, more ROI.
- How to Optimize and Measure Trade Show ROIBroadcast on 11/8/2012 with Skip CoxThis PRO seminar will provide marketers with a proven approach to accurately measuring the results of their events efforts.
- Cognitive Surplus: How Sharing and Collaboration Can Benefit Marketers in a Connected AgeBroadcast on 4/19/2012 with Clay ShirkyIn this seminar, Clay Shirky will show you how to tap into your customers' cognitive surplus by providing a platform for customer collaboration—and how this collaboration can turn into big positive results for your business. Plus you'll discover how you, as a marketer, can become more valuable to your company through the insights you gain by fostering this collaboration.
- The Next Generation of Landing Pages: What's New, What's Hot, What's PerformingBroadcast on 11/10/2011 with Scott BrinkerTake a whirlwind tour of state-of-the-art landing page strategies and tactics, and update your Web marketing repertoire with a new set of best practices that you can put into action.
- Eight Critical SEO MetricsBroadcast on 7/21/2011 with Stephan SpencerUncover which SEO metrics enable you to maximize your website optimization efforts during this PRO seminar with Stephan Spencer. Learn how to expand your keyword list, increase your rankings, and prioritize your efforts.
- A Seven Step Scientific Method for Selling Social Media to SkepticsBroadcast on 2/24/2011 with Tamsen McMahonNeed to convert social media skeptics into believers? Tamsen McMahon will explore how the centuries-old Scientific Method can provide a framework for making a case for social media. You'll walk away with a roadmap for implementing customized, documentable, and measurable social media efforts.
Metrics: Tutorials — tactical marketing know-how in just 10 minutes from subject matter experts
- Take 10: How to Strike a Balance Between Analytics and CreativityReleased on 3/14/2014 with Kathleen SchultzIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn the top two skills an artist and a scientist must possess and how they mesh together to deliver sales and profitability to your business.
- Take 10: How to Set Up Your Metrics for a Successful CampaignReleased on 1/24/2014 with Ruth P. StevensIn just 10 minutes, we'll review the various data capture methods available, which methods are appropriate for each communication type, and the guidelines you should use to choose the right metrics for a successful campaign.
- Take 10: How to Create Goals in Google AnalyticsReleased on 9/20/2013 with Christine B. WhittemoreIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to set up basic goals in Google Analytics so you can start to evaluate your website traffic right away.
- Take 10: Selecting the Right Metrics to Measure Campaign SuccessReleased on 6/21/2013 with Ruth P. StevensIn just 10 minutes, we'll provide you with guidelines for choosing the right metrics for your campaign so you can get right to measuring your tremendous success.
- Take 10: Demonstrate Marketing Success by Setting Clear ObjectivesReleased on 6/14/2013 with Ruth P. StevensIn just 10 minutes, we'll provide you with guidelines you'll want to follow in order to set clear objectives. If you follow these tips, you'll be able to clearly demonstrate marketing success in a language that your senior management team understands.
- Take 10: Tips to Measure Your Trade Show Success in Real TimeReleased on 4/5/2013 with Rob MurphyIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn easy, do-it-yourself tips for measuring your trade show program—in real time.
- Take 10: How to Use Predictive Analytics to Better Your BusinessReleased on 11/23/2012 with Laura PattersonIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to successfully use predictive analytics to optimize your campaigns and improve customer experience.
- Take 10: How to Create Custom URLs for Better Campaign TrackingReleased on 10/5/2012 with Dan SoschinIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to create custom URLs for your campaigns that will improve your Google Analytics tracking tenfold and, ultimately, improve your campaign performance.
- Take 10: Four Steps to Creating a Useful Engagement MetricReleased on 8/3/2012 with Laura PattersonIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to best engage with your customers, why engagement is important, and how to put it to good use!
- Take 10: Five Key Ways to Optimize Your QR Code PerformanceReleased on 7/20/2012 with Brian KlaisIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn five keys to great QR code execution, including how to use QR codes to help build a stronger brand, how to entice users to scan your code, and how to measure the success of your campaign.
Metrics: Marketing downloads for the busy professional
- B2B Lead Generation: Marketing ROI & Performance Evaluation StudyMarketingProfs research studies the effectiveness and performance of lead generation comparing quantity to quality.
- Small Biz How-To Guide: Market ResearchNeed to learn about your customers without the big price tag of market research firms? This guide on do-it-yourself market research will help you get the information you need to position your business without emptying the corporate coffers.
- Marketing Metrics How-To GuideMetrics is the guiding light of your marketing efforts. Without measurements, you're operating in the dark. Make sure you are tracking the right metrics, and get tips on interpreting the data with this comprehensive guide.
- Market Forecasting TemplateThis guide will give you a mini-seminar on the art and the science of forecasting. Learn the four different ways to create forecasting models and choose the ones that best suit your needs. Then follow these easy-to-follow steps to creating a model where you too can predict the future.
- Trade Show Marketing TemplateTrade show marketing is a high-risk, high-reward endeavor. This Template provides a sytematic look at trade show marketing. It walks you through selection and promotion, to follow-up and measurement. This step-by-step guide will insure your trade show marketing is effective, efficient, measurable, and successful.
- Marketing ROI and the Sales FunnelIn this guide, you will learn how to structure, motivate and measure the marketing and sales functions to maximize profit. Topics include: 1) a high-level self-assessment to determine potential sources of profit leakage; 2) how to map out and improve strategies related to the buying cycle; 3) how to apply marketing ROI principles to create strategies to reduce and recycle leakage from the buying cycle; and 4) how to leverage insight on your key profit drivers and customer-level analysis to improve profitability.