Marketing Analytics: How-to articles covering the latest marketing tactics, tips, and strategies.
Four Things to Look for in a Call-Tracking ProviderLance WeatherbyNavigating call-tracking offerings can be difficult, especially if you're not sure of what to look for in a provider. Keep these four things in mind as a checklist of criteria ...
Call Attribution 101 for Digital Marketers: How to Optimize Calls Just Like ClicksSusan BryantCalls from search, social, and display ads are often the most lucrative type of conversion, but also the most difficult for marketers to measure and optimize. Here's a basic lesson ...
How to Make Progress on Your Marketing Excellence Journey [Infographic]Laura Patterson, Jerry RackleyWhat do best-in-class marketers do better and differently in their pursuit of marketing excellence? Find out in this infographic, packed with data from our annual benchmark study.
Top Roadblocks to Better Collaboration Between Brands and AgenciesAyaz NanjiExecutives say the biggest thing preventing better collaboration between brands and marketing agencies is a lack of useful reporting/metrics, according to a recent report from Oracle Marketing Cloud and Forbes ...
How to Benchmark Your Marketing Performance Against Your Competition'sAnna KayfitzCompetitive intelligence often takes a back seat to performance indicators that marketers are daily concerned with (open rates, social metrics, conversions...). But that solely inward focus can lead you astray.
Unlock Mobile Advertising by Measuring the Real WorldJohn BusbyLike it or not, mobile has become the primary mode of communication between companies and consumers, and mobile devices are changing how people are purchasing products and services in the ...
The Top-Rated Email Tracking Tools by MarketersAyaz NanjiWhich email-tracking platforms do marketers most use and and most like? To find out, G2 Crowd recently examined some 640 evaluations by business, marketing, and analytics professionals.
How to Synchronize Your Marketing With the Customer JourneyJonathan MoranBrand loyalty isn't what it used to be. Consumers can now google your product or service and immediately see whether a competitor's pricing or location works better for them. Here's ...
Your Email Service Provider: Five Must-Have Capabilities and One Essential TraitEd KudernaChoosing the right email service provider could make the difference between adequate results and extraordinary ones. Consider these six must-haves of an ESP for a mutually beneficial partnership.
The State of B2B Digital Marketing AnalyticsAyaz NanjiSome 86% of B2B marketers say marketing analytics is very important for the success of their digital marketing strategies, according to a recent report from Regalix.
Marketing Analytics: Podcasts containing in-depth interviews with smart marketers from all walks of life.
Fun With Data Science: John Foreman of MailChimp Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneMailChimp's chief data scientist explains what "data science" is and how it affects marketing communications, product development, and more. He offers marketing professionals concrete tips for crunching numbers to turn data into insights.
How to Build a Testing Culture: Justin Rondeau of Which Test Won on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantTesting your online campaigns, landing pages, forms, website, and so on can't be an every-now-and-again thing. Testing must be iterative and ongoing if it is to produce results. Which means, among other things, that your organization must institute a culture ...
Moving From Attribution to Prediction: Jim Lenskold Talks ROI Metrics on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantDemonstrating value is certainly a fine reason to measure our actions and their results. But discussing marketing measurement with Jim Lenskold during this week's Marketing Smarts podcast got me thinking that we may be thinking about the purpose of measurement ...
Don't Let Data Drive, Let It Inform: Beth Kanter and KD Paine on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantBeth Kanter and Katie Delahaye (KD) Paine, authors of Measuring the Networked Nonprofit: Using Data to Change the World, discuss performance metrics and nonprofits.
Did You See That? EyeTrackShop's Jeff Bander Talks Eye Tracking on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantBefore we can effectively communicate with our customers, we need to get their attention. According to Jeff Bander of EyeTrackShop, this means that when evaluating the effectiveness of our ads or calls-to-action or emails or whatever, we need to answer ...
Every Message Must Be Relevant: IBM's Yuchun Lee on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantAccording to IBM's Yuchun Lee, "every communication has to be relevant. That has to be the bar." So how do you make sure that the messages you send out, the offers you make, and the content you create are relevant?
Marketing Analytics: Online seminar broadcasts from the best minds in marketing
- MarketingProfs University: Naked Mole Rats, Fluffy Hamsters, and the Universal AlgorithmBroadcast on 8/4/2016 with Ian LurieIn this PRO seminar, we'll show you how to target the human algorithm in online marketing—otherwise known as our "distance from perfect." You'll learn how to stop chasing elusive goals, and instead focus on the more predictable, reliable needs of humans operating online. You'll come away with the tools to respond to big algorithm changes that don't rely on guesswork.
- MarketingProfs University: Zero to Hero—How to Gain Impactful Insights From Your DataBroadcast on 4/14/2016 with Jim SterneIn this PRO seminar, Jim Sterne will define big data and outline what it takes to become a digital marketing analyst (or at least know what to look for in one!). You'll learn how to understand your data and tools, and dissect the problems to be solved. We'll also cover the art of data analysis and how to communicate your findings to the C-suite.
- Secrets to Successful Data-Driven MarketingBroadcast on 2/11/2016 with Ruth P. StevensIn this PRO seminar, we'll explore how B2B marketers can maximize business value from data about customers and prospects. We'll look at new data sources, how to keep data clean and fresh, and its top five applications in B2B. We'll also review three case studies from companies that successfully applied data to fuel sustainable business growth.
- 10 Powerful Tips for Getting More From Your AnalyticsBroadcast on 3/19/2015 with Michele KissIn this PRO seminar, we'll provide you with 10 tips and actions you can implement immediately to do more with your data—no expensive tools required! Whether you have an analytics team or you have no support at all, we'll show you how to get more from your data and so you can stop struggling and start gaining valuable insight.
- The Power of More: How Knowing More About Your Website Visitors Drives Greater ROIBroadcast on 6/20/2013 with Marc Engelsman, Ben YurchakThis seminar will delve into some of the challenges marketers face when extracting meaningful and actionable insights from their web analytics data and lead you to more—more leads, more conversions, more sales, more ROI.
- Five Tools for Creating a Social Media Plan and Forecasting Its ImpactBroadcast on 11/29/2012 with Rex BriggsIn this seminar, you'll discover why social media beats traditional media in terms of ROI, how to deliver the impact you need to, and how to forecast and plan your campaigns.
- How to Become a Social Business: Your Framework for SuccessBroadcast on 3/8/2012 with Sandy CarterIn this seminar, Sandy Carter of IBM will share how you can create your own social business agenda for greater competitive advantage. You'll discover how to use social tools to create new opportunities for growth, innovation and productivity across the business network—employees, customers and partners.
- Measuring and Sustaining Social Media SuccessBroadcast on 8/25/2011 with Geoff LivingstonLearn how to apply SMART goals (Specific, Measureable, Attainable, Relevant, Time-Bound) to your social media campaigns and measure audience Attention, Attitude, and Action. Includes advice based on use studies from Dell, LinkedIn, the Humane Society of the United States, and others.
- Multi-Channel Analytics: Tackling the Toughest Measurement ChallengeBroadcast on 6/3/2010 with Avinash KaushikLearn how to run multi-channel analytics to measure your non-line impact. You'll get practical tips that will help you identify how to measure your campaigns (and hence claim as much of the credit as possible for your hard work!).
- Testing, Testing -- The Last (and Best) Direct Marketing TacticBroadcast on 3/15/2007 with Bill BairdYou'll learn exactly how to test, what to test, and where to test to maximize your marketing ROI. You'll leave with concrete principles and practical, real-life case study examples in both B2C and B2B environments.
Marketing Analytics: Tutorials — tactical marketing know-how in just 10 minutes from subject matter experts
- Take 10: How to Interpret Data to Create Great ContentReleased on 9/26/2014 with Hana AbazaIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn what data can drive key areas of your content marketing strategy, including content ideation and content distribution. You'll walk away with a clear understanding of how to interpret your data, and how to turn that insight into great content.
- Take 10: How to Set Up Your Metrics for a Successful CampaignReleased on 1/24/2014 with Ruth P. StevensIn just 10 minutes, we'll review the various data capture methods available, which methods are appropriate for each communication type, and the guidelines you should use to choose the right metrics for a successful campaign.
- Take 10: Selecting the Right Metrics to Measure Campaign SuccessReleased on 6/21/2013 with Ruth P. StevensIn just 10 minutes, we'll provide you with guidelines for choosing the right metrics for your campaign so you can get right to measuring your tremendous success.
- Take 10: Five Key Ways to Optimize Your QR Code PerformanceReleased on 7/20/2012 with Brian KlaisIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn five keys to great QR code execution, including how to use QR codes to help build a stronger brand, how to entice users to scan your code, and how to measure the success of your campaign.
- Take 10: How to Easily Measure Social Media Campaigns on a Small BudgetReleased on 2/17/2012 with Nichole KellyIn just 10 minutes, learn how to integrate free (or inexpensive) tools like Google Analytics and HootSuite Pro into your website and social media campaigns to help track social media performance and report on social media results.
- Take 10: Discover What Your Competition is Worried (and Excited) AboutReleased on 1/7/2011 with Scott SwigartLet competitive intelligence expert Scott Swigart show you the way as he explains which sources to tap, what types of information to look for, and how to corroborate your findings when researching publicly traded companies.
Marketing Analytics: Marketing downloads for the busy professional
- Benchmark Report : Marketing ROI (Year 2)This 2006 survey, the second annual ROI study, demonstrates that companies are definitely getting the ROI message. This study shows a significant increase in the number of companies that have implemented some form of Marketing ROI measurements. And let's face it, Marketing ROI is here to stay. Jim Lenskold says, "Marketing ROI will continue to be a priority as long as maximizing profits is a priority for corporations." Well said, Jim.
- Benchmark Report: Marketing ROI (Year 1)In a 2005 survey, the first in an annual series, Jim Lenskold found that only 1 in 5 respondents was actually using ROI measures for marketing efforts -- 99% of those respondents indicate increased profitability due to the use of ROI. See this and subsequent reports for a full picture of the evolution of marketing ROI.