Career Management: How-to articles covering the latest marketing tactics, tips, and strategies.
Get Organized: Four Simple Ways to Keep Creative Projects on TrackJoe StaplesCreative teams thrive on flexibility, doing some of their best work when given the freedom to explore and experiment. But too much of a good thing can be, well, too ...
How Stressful Are Senior Marketing Jobs?Ayaz NanjiMost senior marketers say their jobs are stressful, but many also say some level of pressure makes them more productive, according to recent research from The Creative Group.
SEO Jobs in 2016: Salary and Hiring TrendsAyaz NanjiThe number of search engine optimization (SEO) job openings has declined this year compared with 2015, and the average salaries of common SEO jobs have dropped as well, according to ...
The Anatomy of a Successful LinkedIn Profile [Infographic]Verónica JarskiTo stand out amid the millions of LinkedIn users, you need a stellar profile that captures attention and starts conversations. This infographic can help you get started on creating that ...
Marketing Hiring Trends for 2016Ayaz NanjiWhich areas of expertise and which skill sets are most in demand by employers looking to make marketing hires this year?
2016 Email Marketing Salary GuideAyaz NanjiWhat is the median salary of email marketers in the United States? How does pay vary by age and gender?
Seven Ways to Find Investors for Your StartupStephen MoyersUnless you're one of the iron-walleted few, gaining startup capital for your business venture will require the help of investors. Navigating those waters can be a lesson in humility; it ...
Five Tips for Finding the Right Editor for Your Business BookJacqui PrettyA book is the ultimate business card... but only if you do it right. Unfortunately, many entrepreneurs (and others) don't, especially because they don't account for editing.
What Marketers Look for in Entry-Level CandidatesAyaz NanjiWhat are the key things senior marketers look for in creative (i.e., non-technical) entry-level job candidates?
Marketing Technologists: Who They Are and Why They Matter [Infographic]Ryan Hadfield, Rachel MartinezMarketing technologists play a vital role in B2B marketing. Here's a look at why marketing technologists matter today and why they will be needed even more in the near future.
Career Management: Podcasts containing in-depth interviews with smart marketers from all walks of life.
Branding, Philanthropy, and Open Hearts: Actress Jane Seymour on Marketing Smarts [Video]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneAward-winning actress, author, and philanthropist Jane Seymour shares lessons on branding, storytelling, and the importance of giving back in this special video edition of Marketing Smarts.
Innovate in the Boardroom (and the Mail Room): Christopher S. Penn on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneChristopher S. Penn, vice-president of marketing technology at Shift Communications and author of Leading Innovation, discusses why innovation will make or break your organization, and shares tips for making innovation happen at your company.
How to Jump-Start Your Career: Expert Laurence Shatkin on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneCareer expert and author Laurence Shatkin, PhD (50 Best Jobs for Your Personality), explains how aspiring marketers can brand themselves for success, how current marketers can better position themselves for a career change, and what skills and interests make someone ...
A Lyrical Entrepreneur: Author, Professor, and Opera Singer Ja-Nae Duane on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneEntrepreneur, professor, and opera singer Ja-Nae Duane shares tips and insights from her latest book, The Startup Equation, due out in early 2016.
Forget Experience: Hire for Talent! Mike Goldman on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneConsultant and author Mike Goldman ("Performance Breakthrough: The 4 Secrets of Passionate Organizations") explains how to enhance your company's performance by hiring for natural talent and core values and creating the right culture for success.
Hunting for Unicorns: Preact's Mike Saldi Talks Hiring on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneMike Saldi, formerly of Salesforce.com, now chief customer officer at software company Preact, shares secrets for spotting which applicants are most likely to rock that job you're hiring for.
The Secret to Effortless Writing: Jeff Goins on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneAuthor Jeff Goins talks about marketing writing (as well as other styles) and shares a process for finding life purpose, as covered in his latest book, The Art of Work.
From Aspiring CMO to Inspiring Leader: Teradata CMO Lisa Arthur on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneTeradata Applications Chief Marketing Officer Lisa Arthur discusses her evolution from journalist to CMO, the advent of data-driven marketing, and the importance of customer experience to marketing success.
Never Stop Learning: Mark Organ on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneThe founder and CEO of advocate marketing software company Influitive explains how he co-founded marketing automation giant Eloqua, why training and development are a "mission-level priority" at his company, and how he hires exceptional employees.
How Happy Employees Make for Better Marketing: Chris Reimer on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneChris Reimer, social media strategist and author of the book Happywork, talks about the profit potential in positivity—and why managers should care whether their workers are happy.
Career Management: Online seminar broadcasts from the best minds in marketing
- Inspire Change Through Speeches, Stories, Ceremonies, and SymbolsBroadcast on 1/21/2016 with Nancy Duarte, Patti SanchezDevelop a plan to help you lead people through the five stages of transformation. Learn how to use speeches, stories, ceremonies, and symbols to help you succeed as a leader. You have the potential to not only anticipate the future and invent creative initiatives, but also to inspire those around you to support and help execute your vision. This PRO seminar will help you harness that potential and put it into play.
- How To Be a Social Media Strategist, Not the Social Help DeskBroadcast on 1/27/2011 with Jeremiah OwyangIn this seminar, social media master Jeremiah Owyang points out the tremendous opportunity for marketers to develop social media programs that get ahead of day-to-day demands and instead operate as part of a longer-term, strategic plan.
- You 2.0: Measuring (and Improving) Your Personal Brand on the WebBroadcast on 6/12/2009 with William ArrudaGo to Google right now and do a search on your name. That's the first impression many people will have of you! Do you like what you see?
- Connecting the Dots: How LinkedIn Can Enhance Your Marketing (and Your Marketing Career)Broadcast on 5/29/2008 with Jason AlbaLinkedIn is said to be the leading online professional network. In this 90-minute seminar, you'll see LinkedIn used in a number of different ways as it is a tool that can enhance personal brands, help you with research, give you access to new networks, and portray you as the marketing professional you are.
- All About Brand You: Building a Stand-Out Marketing CareerBroadcast on 9/20/2007 with William ArrudaWant to climb to the top of the ladder in your organization? Want to have managers from throughout the company seeking you out for advice? Want to advance your marketing career just by being yourself?Don't miss this seminar ...
- Google, The Secret Weapon for Career SuccessBroadcast on 11/17/2006 with William ArrudaIn this web seminar, you will learn the secrets to building and maintaining stellar Google results. You’ll learn how to build your brand on-line so you can build a powerful reputation and expand your professional success.
- How to Climb the B-to-B Marketing Career LadderBroadcast on 3/2/2006 with Peter Santora, Nina SmithToday, the career path in B-to-B marketing has significant opportunities and challenges. Success requires an understanding of the needs of employers, and the skills and experience you need to get ahead. This seminar will show you how to do just that.
- Keys to Success as a Web Manager: People, Politics and Content, with Gerry McGovernBroadcast on 12/8/2005 with Gerry McGovernThere is no greater skill a web manager can acquire than to develop a deep understanding of your customer. By far the best way you can do this is by constantly observing and interacting with them, learn how in this seminar.
- Marketing Career Turbocharger: Put Yourself in OverdriveBroadcast on 1/6/2005 with William ArrudaThis seminar will give you everything you need to develop your own marketing career plan, including the latest trends in marketing careers and the tools you need to build your career plan for 2005. The seminar will cover examples of marketers who have achieved incredible success in their careers by using the techniques described.
Career Management: Tutorials — tactical marketing know-how in just 10 minutes from subject matter experts
- Take 10: Personal Branding Strategy—How to Get FamousReleased on 1/1/2016 with Jeremy MillerIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to grow your personal brand by scaling your influence. We'll share steps on how to stand out online, engage your audience, and enhance your reputation. You'll learn how to grow your audience, and leverage content-creating habits that drive results.
- Take 10: Four Steps to Personal Branding SuccessReleased on 9/6/2013 with Dan SchawbelIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn four steps to personal branding success, including how to set yourself apart from the crowd and how to maintain a spotless (and impressive) online reputation.
- Take 10: Five Things You Should Know About LinkedInReleased on 7/6/2012 with Viveka von RosenYou may think that you've got the platform mastered, but Viveka von Rosen is here to teach you five ways to beef up your profile that you may not have even known about or considered.
- Take 10: Six Tips for Nailing Your Next (or First) JobReleased on 5/25/2012 with Heather RastThis Take 10 will give you timely and actionable tips for getting noticed by employers, keeping your competitive edge, and standing out from the crowd.
- Take 10 Author Series: How Everything You Learned About Motivation Is Wrong—And How to Do It RightReleased on 12/9/2011 with Daniel H. PinkIn this Take 10, Dan debunks the many myths surrounding motivation and offers a number of tips and tricks for cultivating a true culture of motivation in the workplace.
- Take 10: How to Stop Multitasking and Become More ProductiveReleased on 10/7/2011 with Paul BurtonIn this Take 10, productivity expert Paul Burton suggests three worklife-changing practices that will help you evade the saboteurs of productivity.
- Take 10 Author Series: How to Fascinate People with 7 Key TriggersReleased on 9/30/2011 with Sally HogsheadIn this Take 10 Author Series webcast, Sally Hogshead explains how people and brands become fascinating. She discusses how to capitalize on your competitive advantage and identify your most fascinating trait.
- Take 10: Optimize Your LinkedIn Profile in 11 Easy StepsReleased on 7/16/2010 with Jason AlbaLearn from Jason Alba how to create a LinkedIn Profile that is powerful, compelling and that makes a strong favorable impression on the viewer.
Career Management: Marketing downloads for the busy professional
- Conducting a Marketing Job SearchHere's your guide to landing that perfect marketing job. Complete with exercises, checklists, and a whole boatload of advice, you can be on your way to a better, more challenging, and more rewarding position.
- Your Career Management GuideAs marketers, you juggle many projects, priorities, and agendas all at the same time. This life of multitasking sometimes means you forget one of your most important professional projects: managing your career. Although we can't help you find the time to manage your career, this template to managing your career can tell you how. With exercises, checklists and step-by-step guidelines on how to make this lifelong project - your career - your biggest professional success.
- Benchmark Survey: Communication SkillsLink directly to the raw (aggregate) data in this 2005 survey about the skill level survey respondents have in various ways of communicating. With access to the raw data, you can view the results, and even filter them to see how a subset of companies in your country or industry answered. In this way, you can interpret the data in the most meaningful way for you.
- Managing Your Marketing CareerNot only does your job require you to keep up with the new trends and strategies of the day, so does your career. This guide, with advice from some of our top career specialists, will help you identify you're strengths and weaknesses (sound familiar?), your true soulmate of a job and the best strategies for landing it. Even if you already think that you've got the career thing under control, this guide will give you new ideas and the tools to get to where you want to go, and beyond!