Customer Behavior: How-to articles covering the latest marketing tactics, tips, and strategies.
How Americans Plan to Spend Their Tax RefundsAyaz NanjiNearly half (47%) of Americans expecting a tax refund plan to put the money into savings, according to a recent report from the National Retail Federation.
What B2B Buyers Value Most on Vendor WebsitesAyaz NanjiB2B buyers say thorough contact information is the content element that best establishes credibility on a vendor website, according to a recent report from KoMarketing and Huff Industrial Marketing.
How Often Do Americans Shop Online?Ayaz NanjiNearly one-fourth of online shoppers in the United States say they make a Web purchase at least once a week, according to a recent report from Bronto Software.
Five Reasons Your Mobile Strategy Isn't Working and What to Do About It [Infographic]Verónica Maria JarskiIs your mobile strategy producing lackluster results? Here's a look at five areas that might need improvement.
B2B Buying: Millennials vs. Gen X and Baby BoomersAyaz NanjiMillennial B2B buyers, when researching products and services, want to interact directly with vendors' representatives far more than Gen X or Baby Boomer buyers do, according to a recent report ...
How Much Do People Use Messaging Apps? (Hint: A Lot)Ayaz NanjiConsumers use messaging apps nearly five times more than other apps, and they are almost twice as likely to keep messaging apps (vs. other apps) on their phones, according to ...
These Six Stupid Marketing Metrics Need to DieLarry KimIt's amazing what some marketers are still measuring. Maybe they don't know any better, or maybe they're just married to legacy metrics that once made sense. But they're probably doing ...
10 Ways to Improve Shopping Cart ConversionsJohn WieberAfter your website visitors arrive at your online shopping cart, it's simply a shame if your cart then fails you by not helping you achieve the conversion.
How Millennials Consume NewsAyaz NanjiSome 82% of millennials say they get at least half of their news from online sources, according to a recent report from the Media Insight Project.
Is Your On-Hold Audio Irritating Customers? Three Don'ts and Five Do'sPeter LinnBeing on hold on the phone is probably one of the most attention-focused customer touchpoints there is. It can have a huge impact on how your customers feel about your ...
Customer Behavior: Podcasts containing in-depth interviews with smart marketers from all walks of life.
Marketing That Surprises: A Special Guest Host Takes Over Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneIn line with the theme of this episode—marketing that surprises—as well as the day it airs (April Fools' Day), a surprise host takes over Marketing Smarts to discuss campaigns that surprise and (sometimes) delight!
The Mobile Commerce Revolution: Tim Hayden Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneTim Hayden, co-author of the forthcoming book The Mobile Commerce Revolution, shares insights into consumer behavior, how mobile affects that behavior, and how marketers can embrace the seismic shift that mobile represents.
Presentations: 'Show and Tell' Author Dan Roam Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneShow and Tell author Dan Roam explains a new way to craft presentations that will grab (and keep) your audience's attention and inspire them to take action.
What's the Future of Business? Author Brian Solis Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneProviding the best product won't be enough to carry your business into the future: You need to create experiences your customers want to share. Author Brian Solis discusses the need for innovative leadership, the new generation of consumerism, and his ...
How to Build a Testing Culture: Justin Rondeau of Which Test Won on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantTesting your online campaigns, landing pages, forms, website, and so on can't be an every-now-and-again thing. Testing must be iterative and ongoing if it is to produce results. Which means, among other things, that your organization must institute a culture ...
The Truth Is Unscripted: Adele Revella Talks Buyer Personas on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew Grant"Buyer personas don't work if you make stuff up," Adele Revella told me during this week's episode of Marketing Smarts. "They work if you listen to customers first." But to gather real, actionable customer intelligence, you need to talk to ...
Did You See That? EyeTrackShop's Jeff Bander Talks Eye Tracking on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantBefore we can effectively communicate with our customers, we need to get their attention. According to Jeff Bander of EyeTrackShop, this means that when evaluating the effectiveness of our ads or calls-to-action or emails or whatever, we need to answer ...
Every Message Must Be Relevant: IBM's Yuchun Lee on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantAccording to IBM's Yuchun Lee, "every communication has to be relevant. That has to be the bar." So how do you make sure that the messages you send out, the offers you make, and the content you create are relevant?
Keys to Creating Effective Buyer Personas: Ardath Albee on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantHas your organization ever created buyer personas? If so, did you ever use them? Many don't—because they don't create truly useful personas in the first place. Ardath Abee lays out key elements of personas you can really use.
Content Should Make Things Happen: Joe Pulizzi on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantJoe Pulizzi is THE content marketing guy. And he has quite a bit to say about content marketing in general, but I was most curious to find out how he has used content marketing to grow his business at the ...
Customer Behavior: Online seminar broadcasts from the best minds in marketing
- How to Deliver Results by Leveraging Individualized InsightsBroadcast on 3/24/2015 with Wes Moore, Allison PecoraJoin us for this free seminar to learn how companies are rising above silos and data barriers to provide an engaging and relevant experience for their customers, and deliver results. You'll discover that by getting marketing and technology teams on the same page to find hidden insights and act on them, you can start providing customers with the experience they expect. Sponsored by Teradata
- How to Develop Effective Content for Each Stage of the Buying JourneyBroadcast on 3/13/2014 with Shelly KramerThis PRO seminar will provide you with a solid understanding of how to develop the kind of content you need to propel your buyers along a path to purchase. You'll also learn how you can create content to retain these customers for a long time to come.
- The Psychology of Email Response: Persuasive Tactics for Increasing Engagement and ConversionBroadcast on 2/6/2014 with Karen TalaveraThis PRO seminar will unearth the root of what motivates people to action and how we can leverage this knowledge to improve email marketing results.
- Content Marketing Trends to Kick-Start Your Communications PlanBroadcast on 1/16/2014 with Gini DietrichIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn how to give your communications plan a kick-start. Join us to draw inspiration from the best approaches and tactics in content marketing today.
- Take on the World: Compete Globally with Customer Experience ManagementBroadcast on 10/17/2013 with Liz HighThis PRO seminar is not just relevant for the global marketer, as you'll also learn how customer experience innovation in one market propels a company's competitiveness and growth across the globe.
- MarketingProfs University: Seven Ways to Revive Your Marketing Strategy with Social MediaBroadcast on 10/10/2013 with Connie BensenThis PRO seminar will illuminate the potential business return of social engagement and outline content marketing best practices. You'll hear success stories that will inspire you to take steps to successfully integrate social media marketing into your larger business strategy.
- Leveraging Data-Based Marketing to Find and Win the Invisible SaleBroadcast on 9/26/2013 with Tom MartinIn this PRO seminar, you will learn how to counter this new reality. We will discuss a detailed strategic and tactical framework that you can use to help these invisible buyers create trackable online buying signals that your sales teams can leverage to shorten the sales cycle and improve conversion rates.
- Welcome to the Collaborative EconomyBroadcast on 9/19/2013 with Jeremiah OwyangAltimeter's latest research will show how corporations must not only stay relevant, but also lead the charge in their own communities. This PRO seminar will share three ways corporations must shift their business (and marketing) to adapt to today's collaborative economy.
- Supercharge Your Brand: How Companywide Empowerment Drives Social Media AdvocacyBroadcast on 9/12/2013 with Susan Emerick, Chris BoudreauxIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn how empowering your employees, customers and partners to use social media to drive engagement, create meaningful customer relationships and engage in real-time conversations can help increase your brand awareness and revenues, while decreasing your marketing, sales and customer service costs.
- MarketingProfs University: Building the Living, Breathing BrandBroadcast on 6/13/2013 with Tamsen WebsterThis PRO seminar will teach you how to make your brand work for you by going beyond taglines and slogans and giving it the eyes, ears, and legs it takes to become an integral part of your customers' lives.
Customer Behavior: Tutorials — tactical marketing know-how in just 10 minutes from subject matter experts
- Take 10: How to Create Calls-to-Action That Drive ConversionsReleased on 2/20/2015 with Kath PayIn just 10 minutes, we'll reveal the secrets to creating a call-to-action that encourages the action you're after—whether it's downloads, sign-ups or sales. We'll discuss how to integrate your CTAS into your email program and how to make your CTAs appeal to your customers and prospects without being too pushy.
- Take 10: Three Simple Steps to Identify Your Buyer PersonasReleased on 3/28/2014 with Jon-Mikel BaileyIn just 10 minutes, we'll take a look at some fun and effective ways to gain a deeper understanding of your audience (a.k.a. your "buyer personas"), and together, we will learn how to develop yours!
- Take 10: Email Design for the Mobile Customer and Multi-Device WorldReleased on 1/10/2014 with Tim WatsonIn just 10 minutes, you’ll learn best practices and approaches for email design in a mobile, multi-device world.
- Take 10: Craft the Perfect Call to ActionReleased on 12/13/2013 with Lois BrayfieldIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to strategically create a call to action your customers will care about and will pay attention to.
- Take 10: Appealing to the Ego to Get Great ContentReleased on 11/1/2013 with Ian GreenleighIn just 10 minutes, we'll discuss four proven ways to create powerful "ego cycles" by accessing the egos of influencers and of your target audience.
- Take 10: Zero in on Your Audience to Improve Email Opens, Clicks, and ROIReleased on 8/23/2013 with Reggie BradyIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn six ways to segment your customers. You'll learn how to make your emails more relevant to your audience and improve your opens, clicks, and overall ROI.
- Take 10: Striking The Balance Between Merchandising and Branding for Your Ecommerce WebsiteReleased on 6/7/2013 with Brent NiemuthIn just 10 minutes, learn how to appeal to basic human instincts and create an online experience that will delight anyone who visits your site while encouraging sales.
- Take 10: Six Ways to Build a Trusted BrandReleased on 5/10/2013 with John MorganIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn six tips that will help you become a trusted brand with loyal customers!
- Take 10: How to Motivate Your Customers to Take ActionReleased on 3/15/2013 with Ruth P. StevensIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to communicate best with your customers and motivate them to take action.
- Take 10: Five Rhymes for STORE Merchandising SuccessReleased on 3/8/2013 with Glenda Lehman ErvinJoin Glenda Lehman Ervin as she shares five pithy rhymes that will help you turn your retail store into the #1 choice for your busy consumers.
Customer Behavior: Marketing downloads for the busy professional
- Research Spotlight: TwitterA successful Twitter program requires extensive research on whether your audience is there, what everyone is interested in, and what they're doing. Lucky for you, MarketingProfs has done the work for Research Spotlight: Twitter. Download it now to access close to 70 pages of Twitter research from 30 unique sources.
- Research Spotlight: FacebookResearch Spotlight: Facebook helps you focus on the most popular social network today. Get the research insights you need to create successful Facebook campaigns. Learn who's on Facebook, what they're doing, and how best to reach them.