Small Business: How-to articles covering the latest marketing tactics, tips, and strategies.
A Crash Course: Start an Online Business in Three StepsStephen MoyersStarting an online business can be daunting, but focusing on the important components common to every company and organizing them into manageable chunks can help. Here's a crash course in ...
How Brands and SMBs Are Using Video Marketing [Infographic]Ayaz NanjiSome 84% of professional marketers and 55% of SMB owners say they have developed or outsourced the creation of at least one video for marketing purposes in the previous 12 ...
The Most Popular Types of SMB Marketing VideosAyaz NanjiSome 85% of small and medium-sized businesses are now using video or intend to use video in the near future as part of their marketing efforts, according to a recent ...
Small Business Owners' Favorite Digital Tools and PlatformsAyaz NanjiWhich software programs and digital platforms do small business owners recommend most to their peers? To find out, Alignable polled 7,500 SMBs in 1Q16.
Four Scrappy Content Marketing HacksNick WestergaardThese four content creation hacks belong in every marketer's toolbox. These tips and tricks epitomize the scrappy mindset we need to do more with less, and help us bring that ...
Seven Ways to Find Investors for Your StartupStephen MoyersUnless you're one of the iron-walleted few, gaining startup capital for your business venture will require the help of investors. Navigating those waters can be a lesson in humility; it ...
How SMBs Are Using Social MediaAyaz NanjiMore than two-thirds (67%) of small and midsize businesses are are already using social media as part of their marketing efforts or plan to start doing so sometime this year, ...
How to Get Marketing Help When You Need ItElaine FogelDoes your small business have marketing and branding needs but not enough money to hire an agency or a consultant? Don't fret, you have many options to ensure you get ...
#SocialSkim: Pinterest Extends DIY Ads to SMBs, Plus 13 More Stories in This Week's RoundupChristian NeriSocial gets easier to tackle this week: Pinterest's DIY ad manager is open to SMBs, WordPress is releasing an Instant Articles plugin for Facebook (which also launched nifty tools), and ...
Digital Tools Recommended Most by SMB Owners [Infographic]Ayaz NanjiHere are the digital products and services—along with their Net Promoter Scores—that small and midsize business owners are most likely to recommend to their peers.
Small Business: Podcasts containing in-depth interviews with smart marketers from all walks of life.
Marketers, To Do More With Less, Get Scrappy! Nick Westergaard on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneBrand strategist Nick Westergaard discusses his new book, Get Scrappy: Smarter Digital Marketing for Businesses Big and Small, and explains how big businesses and startups alike can get more for their marketing dollars by doing more with less.
Persuasive Presentations: Communication Expert Nancy Duarte Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgonePresentation expert Nancy Duarte shares tips for creating marketing presentations that persuade, and talks about how she and her husband disrupted the graphic design industry with the startup they ran out of their California apartment.
To Grow You Must Change: John Jantsch on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantJohn Jantsch believes that if businesses are to grow, they need to be ready, willing, and able to change. To navigate and instigate such change, business leaders need a clarity of purpose and they need to set big, audacious goals.
Small Business: Online seminar broadcasts from the best minds in marketing
- Running the Gauntlet: Essential Business Lessons to Lead, Drive Change, and Grow ProfitsBroadcast on 1/23/2014 with Jeffrey HayzlettThis PRO seminar, taught by Jeffrey Hayzlett, will reveal how to run and drive change through marketing and business, from getting ready to creating and sustaining momentum.
- MarketingProfs University: Killing Giants—Outmaneuvering Larger CompetitorsBroadcast on 1/12/2012 with Stephen DennyLearn to turn your larger competitors' lack of speed and agility to your advantage in this PRO seminar and MPU Marketing Your Small Business kickoff class.
- Social Media is a Powerful Tool for Small BusinessesBroadcast on 9/2/2010 with Sean McDonaldJoin us as we share with you why your small business is better suited for the new frontier and lessons that can be learned from both small and large companies that have already embarked on their social media journey.
- Promotions: Instant Gratification for Small Business MarketersBroadcast on 12/14/2007 with Michael GoodmanThis seminar will focus on those highly-visible short-term activities that are designed to generate sales NOW—not next week or next month, but right away. We'll look at a number of examples of these promotions and begin to understand which are most appropriate (and effective) for different kinds of businesses.
- Small Business Series: How to Advertise on a Modest BudgetBroadcast on 10/19/2007 with Michael GoodmanMichael Goodman has been responsible for annual advertising budgets ranging from a few thousand dollars to millions of dollars, in consumer, B2B, services, information, entertainment and not-for-profit situations. He’s learned advertising from recognized masters of the craft, and stumbled across some truths on his own.
- Small Business Series: Budgeting for the Marketing MixBroadcast on 9/14/2007 with Michael GoodmanIn this seminar, we'll deal with some of the most common questions asked by entrepreneurs and small business marketers: How much should we spend on marketing? Is it a percentage of sales? How do we get benchmarks for our industry? How do we know if we're over-spending, under-spending, or right on the money?
- Small Business Series: How to Set Prices the Smart WayBroadcast on 8/17/2007 with Michael GoodmanPricing strategy is the sleeping giant of marketing strategy. The marketing mix element with perhaps the greatest potential to affect the bottom line and properly position a brand or a company with its target audience—yet the one most often relegated to a simple financial or sales decision, without regard for its impact on the brand. This seminar will address the role of pricing as a marketing tool, and ...
- Small Business Series: Positioning, Naming and TaglinesBroadcast on 7/20/2007 with Michael GoodmanMost small businesses can't afford to invest thousands of dollars in advertising and promotion every week. They have to rely on making the greatest possible impact with a small budget. The starting point for many of them is a well-thought-out positioning statement that captures the essence of the company and then gets translated into a meaningful and memorable tagline.Take a practical look at positioning as the cornerstone of a marketing plan and the basis for naming, taglines and brand building.
- Small Business Series: Do-It-Yourself Market ResearchBroadcast on 6/22/2007 with Michael GoodmanThe amount you spend on market research isn't the most important consideration. The key is asking the right high-gain questions and knowing what to do with the answers.This seminar will cover not only the various options for market research, but also six do-it-yourself approaches that can yield better results than studies costing thousands of dollars. And the turn-around time is often a fraction of what a major project would involve.
- Small Business Series: Why Most Small Businesses Fail (and How to Avoid Being One of Them)Broadcast on 5/18/2007 with Michael GoodmanWe’ll deal with everything, including: advertising, taglines, promotion, budgeting, publicity and low-cost market research. We’ll use case studies from small B2B and B2C companies and borrow ideas from larger companies as well.
Small Business: Tutorials — tactical marketing know-how in just 10 minutes from subject matter experts
- Take 10: Hire, Outsource, or DIY—How to Assess Your Marketing NeedsReleased on 1/30/2015 with Christina IngeIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to determine which projects you can DIY, and which projects you should outsource or hire a contractor to handle. We'll discuss the pros and cons of outsourcing, how to decide when to use it versus using in-house personnel, and how to communicate your needs clearly for the best results.
- Take 10: Strategic Resources to Better Manage Your Social MarketingReleased on 1/23/2015 with Guy PowellIn just 10 minutes, we'll show you how to overcome common social marketing challenges (such as not having enough time, budget, or staff) and provide you with key dashboard dimensions, including how to set up specific improvement objectives and how to track your progress to improve your social marketing efforts.
- Take 10: The 10 Web Marketing Areas You Need to Focus on NowReleased on 1/9/2015 with Stoney deGeyterIn just 10 minutes, we'll identify the top 10 online marketing areas you should be focusing on, and provide you with three action items for each. With your top 10 list and actionable to-dos in hand, you can eliminate the less impactful projects, and hone your time, money, and energy on what really matters and gives you the best ROI.
- Take 10: Three Ways to Outsmart Your Biggest CompetitorsReleased on 11/4/2011 with Stephen DennyIn just 10 minutes, learn the three best ways to outsmart the competition. You'll find out which questions to ask yourself before taking a risk as well as how to best use speed as a competitive weapon.
Small Business: Marketing downloads for the busy professional
- Small Biz How-To Guide: Positioning, Naming & TaglinesSpot-on positioning leads to names that attract customers and taglines that sing. Get your small business on the track to marketing success.
- Small Biz How-To Guide: Market ResearchNeed to learn about your customers without the big price tag of market research firms? This guide on do-it-yourself market research will help you get the information you need to position your business without emptying the corporate coffers.
- Small Biz How-To Guide: Avoiding Key PitfallsLet's face it, more small businesses fail than succeed. Make sure yours is one of the winners with this guide to getting your small business off the ground and solidly on the road to success.