Writing: How-to articles covering the latest marketing tactics, tips, and strategies.
Turbocharge Your Content Marketing MachineAlastair KaneContent marketing is not rocket science, but it can appear so in the absence of a clear-cut strategy—and planning, without which your content marketing machine will be firing on three ...
Is Your Email Subject Line Creative... or Deceptive?DJ WaldowSo where does the line get drawn between a creative, compelling email subject line and one that is deceptive (and, therefore, illegal)?
Seven Essential Skills for the Content StrategistJason HirthlerLike the word "content" itself, "content strategy" is often an ambivalent term. But, however you define it, any good content strategist should have these seven skill sets.
Google Authorship and Author Rank: Big for SEO in 2013 and BeyondHaris BacicThis article will help writers gain a better understanding of Google Authorship and Author/Agent rank, learn to set up their own Google Author accounts, and help protect their online work ...
Top 10 Content Marketing Strategy Mistakes, and How to Correct Them (Part 3 of 3)Tommy WalkerIn the final installment of this series, we cover three mistakes: Your content doesn't tell a story; your content never leaves home; and your content never grows up.
How (and Why) to ID and Duck Wimpy Web Writers: 18 Telltale SignsBarry FeldmanContent is the treasure trove that connects customers to companies now. And where there's gold, you're bound to find miners. The problem is that far too many will be swinging ...
Top 10 Content Marketing Strategy Mistakes, and How to Correct Them (Part 2 of 3)Tommy WalkerDoes your content sound like everyone else's? Did you do any research before producing your content? Do you always use the same media format? And do you tailor your content ...
Top 10 Content Marketing Strategy Mistakes, and How to Correct Them (Part 1 of 3)Tommy Walker"Content marketing strategy" is a phrase that gets thrown around quite a bit, but how well do we really understand it? Not well at all, which is why content marketers ...
Elements of Great StorytellingAnn Handley, Tim WasherFor millennia, human beings have transmitted knowledge from generation to generation via storytelling. It remains a powerful medium that grabs and holds people's attention. Not surprisingly, then, it can be ...
Content Is Not the New Black: Time-Tested Tips for Creating Compelling ContentNasheen LiuContent has always been, and will always be, the very foundation of marketing. Yet we are challenged with meeting the constant demand for consistently compelling content. These tactics will help ...
Writing: Podcasts containing in-depth interviews with smart marketers from all walks of life.
Surrender to the Chaos of the Internet: The Atlantic's Bob Cohn on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantThe Atlantic magazine has made a highly successful transition to the digital world. To understand what has led to its digital success and uncover what content marketers might learn from its example, I invited Bob Cohn, the magazine's digital editor, ...
Put the Audience First: Sonia Simone of Copyblogger on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew Grant"Search engine robots—the last time I checked—do not have credit cards to buy your product," says Sonia Simone of Copyblogger Media. Which is why, she adds, "It makes more sense for us to look at SEO as a function of ...
People Respond to Stories: Rohit Bhargava Talks Likeonomics on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantRohit Bhargava, author and social media strategist, thinks business books need to be useful—to help you solve a problem you're facing. So it has to speak to you from the get-go, draw you in, and convince you it's going to ...
Keys to Creating Effective Buyer Personas: Ardath Albee on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantHas your organization ever created buyer personas? If so, did you ever use them? Many don't—because they don't create truly useful personas in the first place. Ardath Abee lays out key elements of personas you can really use.
Writing: Online seminar broadcasts from the best minds in marketing
- How to Stand Out, Get Results, and Have Fun With Your Content MarketingBroadcast on 2/28/2013 with Hunter BoyleIn this PRO seminar, we'll explore several great marketing campaigns that took a personable approach to content marketing. You'll see what worked (and what didn't) and you'll walk away with proven tips to take your content to the next level.
- Sales Messaging That Closes the DealBroadcast on 6/21/2012 with Tim RiestererDiscover how to develop content marketing messages that help your salespeople close the deal and convince prospects to choose you.
- MarketingProfs University: From Content to Conversation—The Changing World of Online Marketing WritingBroadcast on 5/10/2012 with Ginny RedishThis PRO seminar and first class of MarketingProfs University's Marketing Writing Bootcamp will demonstrate how customers consume online content, share examples of effective online content, and provide practical guidelines for writing great online content.
- MarketingProfs University: How to Build and Maintain a Thriving Content EcosystemBroadcast on 11/3/2011 with Ann Handley, Matthew T. GrantAnn Handley and Matthew T. Grant walk you through creating, implementing, and sustaining a content marketing program by remaining what you already have.
- Subject Lines: The Hidden Impact on Email Subscriber BehaviorBroadcast on 8/18/2011 with Dela QuistUncover the keys to developing a successful subject line strategy that focuses subscriber behavior over time during this PRO seminar. Learn why open rate alone doesn't indicate success.
- MarketingProfs University: How to Become a Content JuggernautBroadcast on 6/16/2011 with Mitch JoelLearn how to write effectively for the social Web—to get attention, invite interaction, and encourage sharing. Join Mitch Joel as he provides practical advice on producing a variety of social content, plus inspiration to help you achieve more with your writing, both personally and professionally.
- Seven Keys to a Successful BlogBroadcast on 4/28/2011 with Jennifer CisneyJoin us for this PRO seminar with Jennifer Cisney, Kodak's chief blogger, and learn the keys to blogging success. Based on best practices learned firsthand at Kodak—an early-adopter of social media, which launched its first brand blog in 2006—she'll cover how blogging and social media tactics can inform product improvements and brand experiences through real consumer interactions.
- MarketingProfs Makeover: Optimizing Content for SEOBroadcast on 12/9/2010 with Heather Lloyd-MartinJoin us for this exciting and fast-paced Hot Seat Lab where you'll learn best practices for writing SEO content that will achieve higher rankings in search engines. Plus, you'll witness several live website critiques where Heather Lloyd Martin will provide actionable tips for improving content in a way that will draw more customers to your site.
- The Seven Deadly Sins of Landing Page DesignBroadcast on 11/11/2010 with Tim AshLearn how to avoid the most common landing page sins and increase conversions in this fast-paced and entertaining session with noted conversion expert and bestselling author Tim Ash.
- Content Development for the Real WorldBroadcast on 7/22/2010 with Kristina HalvorsonContent strategies can cause some of the biggest pain points for our organizations and projects. In this session, you'll discover several ways you can start taking advantage of content strategy's core tools and processes right now to see immediate, measurable results.
Writing: Tutorials — tactical marketing know-how in just 10 minutes from subject matter experts
- Take 10: Five Keys to Creating Case Studies That SellReleased on 3/22/2013 with Gail Z. MartinIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn five quick and easy ways to put case studies to use for your business. You'll walk away with tactical advice for making your case studies stand out and achieving big sales results.
- Take 10: How to Use Mindmapping to Cure Writer's BlockReleased on 12/14/2012 with Daphne Gray-GrantIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn what mindmapping is, tactical tips for implementing it yourself, and how it can help you get back to writing killer content in no time.
- Take 10: Ten Tips to Make Writing More FunReleased on 11/2/2012 with Daphne Gray-GrantIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to combat writer's block and enjoy writing great content!
- Take 10: Seven Easy Tips to Improve Your ProofreadingReleased on 8/24/2012 with Daphne Gray-GrantLearn seven simple steps to making the proofreading process easier and more effective.
- Take 10: How to Write Vivid, Engaging CopyReleased on 1/6/2012 with Paul GillinIn just 10 minutes, learn how to purge your writing of the everyday and replace it with the awe-inspiring.
- Take 10 Author Series: Eight Commonly Misused Words and How to Use Them CorrectlyReleased on 11/25/2011 with Mignon FogartyIn this Take 10 Author Series webcast, famed grammarian and best-selling author Mignon Fogarty shares critical tips for remembering the correct meanings (and spellings) of commonly misused words.
- Take 10: Six Quick Tips for Writing SEO-Friendly ContentReleased on 10/14/2011 with Erika NapoletanoIn this Take 10, you will get the low-down on writing copy that is keyword-rich but never boring or forced.
- Take 10: 5 Rules for Creating Powerful Calls-to-ActionReleased on 8/26/2011 with Doug MetzgarIn this Take 10 tactical webcast, you'll be guided through a checklist of must-haves for creating calls-to-action that convert.
- Take 10: How to Host a Successful Twitter ChatReleased on 7/8/2011 with Verónica Maria JarskiIn this Take 10, Verónica Maria Jarski takes you through the eight essential ingredients of a rockin' good Twitter chat.
- Take 10: How to Create a Digital Marketing Plan with 8 Key ElementsReleased on 1/28/2011 with Michael MillerThis webcast is your guide to creating an effective plan for your digital marketing and traditional marketing activities.
Writing: Marketing downloads for the busy professional
- Blog Marketing GuideFrom establishing your company as an expert to providing a forum for testing new products, and much more, blogs can be useful, cheap and effective. Want to give it a go? This 65-page Bible of Blogging will get you started.
- E-Newsletter How-To GuideThe e-newsletter has become ubiquitous. Almost a dime a dozen. How do you make yours not only stand out in the inbox, but make a positive impact on your bottom line? This guide will show you how.
- Benchmark Survey: Communication SkillsLink directly to the raw (aggregate) data in this 2005 survey about the skill level survey respondents have in various ways of communicating. With access to the raw data, you can view the results, and even filter them to see how a subset of companies in your country or industry answered. In this way, you can interpret the data in the most meaningful way for you.